Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Before Level42

Bean9seventy

18 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I still use a Fender P Bass for funk.

Admittedly I didn't realise it was funk until several of my band mates asked "what the funk are you playing?"

Haha!! A lot of people do these days - even fitted with flatwounds (a la 1961). However, if this was 1980 you very likely wouldn’t have been 😏

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Haha!! A lot of people do these days - even fitted with flatwounds (a la 1961). However, if this was 1980 you very likely wouldn’t have been 😏

1982....it was and Ibby MC924 strung with Superwound, the ones you had to trim and thread yourself!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

So the point here is that:

- Most funk bass players in the U.K. didn’t play Fender basses.

- The scene as we know it now was emerging, and the narrative imposed on history doesn’t always resonate with someone who was there at the time (see the 60s etc.)

- At the time Mark King wasn’t considered a funk pioneer, but this label has been applied retrospectively

- There was a small group of U.K. funk bassists clustered around London and Denmark Street that pioneered the genre

This is all good stuff. Personally, the fusion stuff here and the white socks, shirt strap Acid Jazz stuff that emerged from it leaves me utterly cold, but I’m sure the scene was a lot of fun.

the dance floors were exciting,

think the music industry thing was a drink too big & a sandwich too small, for me especially

yes, there was a lot to it, Denmark st 1976 -80 ,, fact No1, get it right ,

Denmark St was "completely run owned schooled by the Rock guys , everything else was Punk, or teddy boys , image.png.b2818fc5057bc9bf36535dd0e9031cd7.png

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

1982....it was and Ibby MC924 strung with Superwound, the ones you had to trim and thread yourself!

Superwound with their own bullets ? ,, yeah, we were all convinced it was twang & trebble on the amp ,, yet never understood why i never had flies in my bedroom ?? 

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

most basses i saw early on were flat wound ,, they had this clunky metal on solid state sound, ,, they could damage your fingers badly if the flatwound split 

1 minute ago, Bean9seventy said:

you think i care if people do not like me ? ;D

I'm not sure anyone is being hostile here.  My observation would be that the way you write is incomprehensible to a lot of us.  There are many on here for whom english is not a first language, maybe even not a second, yet folks always try to make themselves understood.   But this weird street patois you have adopted really is next to impossible to unravel.  I am sure you have some interesting points to make but I actually have no idea because I can't make head nor tail of what you are writing.  And clearly I am not the only one.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I'm not sure anyone is being hostile here.  My observation would be that the way you write is incomprehensible to a lot of us.  There are many on here for whom english is not a first language, maybe even not a second, yet folks always try to make themselves understood.   But this weird street patois you have adopted really is next to impossible to unravel.  I am sure you have some interesting points to make but I actually have no idea because I can't make head nor tail of what you are writing.  And clearly I am not the only one.

go to your mouse > click back space ,, where may returneth back to Book Worm of the Year fans bowser page ,

Do not forget you get a free 10 days of Grammerly Free ;D & the latest Alexis Pro "ask me anything"  bundle , Power Supply not included ,,

28 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Is this an offshoot of the Den of Iniquity thread?

I may reassure Mr @JapanAxethat the DoI has no association with this thread. Indeed, our guiding principles are a firm adherence to English as she is spoken, a penchant for clarity and brevity, and a fanatical devotion to the Oxford comma.

That said, the 'Level 42 before Level 42' thread has excited the interest of the DoI's Faculty of Humanities; a team of our finest researchers are engaged in a deep-dive semiotic study, the results of which will be published in late 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

@skankdelvar May I ask for a report to late 3022 as I'll have to learn all pre and post Indo-European languages and their first to last deviations to vaguely understand the erratic grammatical construction of the aforementioned sentences and decipher the Sumerian codex hidden in the signs wording ?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

you think i care if people do not like me ? ;D

Oh it's nothing to do with like or dislike.

I find your weird trolling incomprehensible.

I have read the whole of this thread and, as a founding member of the DOI, I can report that I find @Osiris ancient Egyptian God's expositions on Wellingborough an easier read.

I couldn't care less about the history of funk bass players either...

I only came here for the free buffet.

Carry on! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Oh it's nothing to do with like or dislike.

I find your weird trolling incomprehensible.

I have read the whole of this thread and, as a founding member of the DOI, I can report that I find @Osiris ancient Egyptian God's expositions on Wellingborough an easier read.

I couldn't care less about the history of funk bass players either...

I only came here for the free buffet.

Carry on! 

What? Where? Are there signs to it? Are they legible?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Haven't found it me self old chap...

think I'll mosey off to the Mess. Are the Spuds fully prepared?

Always.*

*This is despite the moaning, groaning and threats of powdered mash. Without a daily peeling session, the day seems wrong somehow. We have some nice Maris Pipers and even some posh, little Anyas available.

Fun fact - Mark King used to be the spud basher at a West End hotel, in order to top up his paltry wages at Macari’s.**

**Not true in the slightest.

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

Fun fact - Mark King used to be the spud basher at a West End hotel, in order to top up he paltry wages at Macari’s.**

**Not true in the slightest.

Indeed, he started on drums, not tuber.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4