Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Before Level42

Bean9seventy

Seems to be getting a bit heated in this thread. Who knew that the mild mannered ex IOW milkman could arouse such passion. Personally I find  his style of slap playing annoying and I dislike his band. That said my musical taste could probably be put into two categories. Misery and Despair.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 20:16, Bean9seventy said:

After running an earlier Blog on early UK funk bass players ,

a we return to the subject again ,

The shop chain Mark King worked for "Macaris" has finally closed it doors

in Demark Street,

as stated before, we were the guys who used to jam in those shops at that time

meaning Mark King got into bass plus, including seeing guys like myself

image.png.38516a094ba99a5c5dd67a56ce8c52af.png

The reason for this new post strange as it is, was "just 1 track" i have not heard for many years

it quite simply its Level 42 before Level 42 ,,

please tell us about Demark St in the 1970s & if you wish were there

Can I just say I fully appreciate what this post is about, the only thing I could take issue with is that the Santana album Marathon was released in September 1979, so it technically post-dates the emergence of Level 42, although it's well before they issued any vinyl.

14 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

then you woke up only to realize you were born in 1998, 

yes, there was a band(s) who specialized in the latest pop songs / covers including Disco, playing from musical scores , these bass players in those bands would sight read the score ,, & use a plectrum, >Dang<

in the 70s you played vinyl heavy slap stuff like P Funk / Larry Graham in the "UK" ? you would lose your "ordinary friends" who would label you as weird  & maybe get a call from the police to see if you're alright,

that's why i have a chapter on L.G & how morden gentrified only like him because they can play hair, they know nothing or care about "the struggles" 

You've obviously got your own agenda which your are going to pursue despite people posting evidence to the contrary.

I'm out and you are on ignore.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

the mecca type bands had disco favorites ,

taste of honey, boogie oogie oogie

chic, everybody dance (plectrum heaven) & as you say various EWF joints

"Not dissimilar to the band which plays on Strictly Come Dancing" ?

100% true,

"Come Dancing" was in fact better in the 70s, 100% more user friendly, anyone, any dance couple could have a go & get a chance to seen on TV

& its as you say very much a live music type experience even today

so yeah 1976- 1980 i saw a few modern ted heath / mecca type line up bands inculding "for TV" at The Lyceum Ballroom, cheers ,, 

i missed the bob marley gig in 1975 ,

You could almost be quoting part of our 1979/80 set - included Taste of Honey; Michael Jackson; War; Edwin Starr; Chic; Sister Sledge and many more. The besuited (well, satin stage clothed) R and B/disco/funk players were having the pleasure of playing Louis Johnson, Abraham Laboriel, Bernard Edwards bass parts, and it was a pleasure, and quite lucrative.

From a different angle, the more disruptive elements were playing more agricultural, punk based rock.

Bands playing in social clubs were playing chart stuff like Sultans of Swing, Another Brick in the Wall, along with the more standard Smokey songs, and all the strict tempo stuff (in between Bingo performances). 

No one was playing ‘rock covers’ like All Right Now and all the others so beloved today - rock music like Magnum was played in pubs. 

You could also go to smaller venues and watch such eclectic performances like National Health (Dave Stewart - morphed out of Hatfield and the North and originally with Neil Murray on bass). 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Can I just say I fully appreciate what this post is about, the only thing I could take issue with is that the Santana album Marathon was released in September 1979, so it technically post-dates the emergence of Level 42, although it's well before they issued any vinyl.

splitting hairs with a band who was at the same classic gig ( mildly put ) Woodstock with Larry Graham, & others

who is using the robert popswell rubbing "the rubber strings" method, fast

its level 42 before level42 guys

it was a Geek tune of the day btw , Something that may have become a jingle on Tomorrows World ?

had not heard it for years & got a flashback  image.png.8651dbac268a08297f3fd1de0fbac802.png

On 26/12/2021 at 01:51, Bean9seventy said:

1st Alembic bass on view in UK was in Macaris ? Stanley Clarke ?

Demark Street was bigger in terms of "how many shops" there were, 

it was also the most expensive bass on offer @ the time @ £1k ? tho i am sure they went for much less,

tryed it, very well made, heavy ,fine tuning "double octave ,< very important for brit funk bassists back then,

just for prospective, very few funk bassists if anyone, had a Fender at that time   

I recall seeing two alembic series basses in the window of a shop in Birmingham  called Woodroffe's, just after the first Clarke Duke oproject tour came to town. I think this was some time in 1981 or early 1982. Both basses were up for sale for £3000 one was the large classic body shape and the other was the short scale series bass.

l-438x278.jpg

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

I bought a Fender Precision there in 1976.

But not that shop location? It was on the corner of John Bright Street/Hill St/Navigation St almost opposite the New Street Station signal box and Bristol Road bus terminus before moving to Dale End? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

But not that shop location? It was on the corner of John Bright Street/Hill St/Navigation St almost opposite the New Street Station signal box and Bristol Road bus terminus before moving to Dale End? 

Yes, I  remember the Navigation Street corner shop but I bought the Precision in Dale End.

It's possible it was early 1977 and not 1976.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

My new Stingray came from Jones and Crossland (Smallbrook Queensway) around that time.

I remember Jones & Crossland.

And George Clay in Broad Street.

And Wasp on Bristol Street with Nest Studio underneath.

And some others that I don't recall the names of.

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

Where was Musical Exchanges? One memory says Snow Hill and the other says Broad Street.

:) Both your memories are correct. Musical Exchanges was sited on Broad Street before it moved to Snow Hill. 

The Broad St shop was a dingy Aladdin's Cave of secondhand gear with a Dave Hill Superyob guitar in the window. My recollection of the Snow Hill shop (not long before they went under) was of a posher, more brightly lit place with lots of new Strats on the wall and correspondingly of less interest.

My only memories of Woodroffe's are (i) that it was the first place I ever saw a 4001 in the flesh and (ii) Jezz Woodroffe worked in the family music store and played keys on Sabbath's Sabotage and Technical Ecstasy.

Mr Mark King may have visited Musical Exchanges but at this time I can find no documented proof of such a visit.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1