Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Before Level42

Bean9seventy

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Do you guys realise that turning this into another DOI-style circlew*nk is effectively bullying?

No it’s not. Having been the victim of bullying and witnessed it both in a commercial setting and as an educator, I know what it is and this hasn’t been it, or anything close to. In this instance, someone mentioned that it felt like a DoI type thing when said thread contributors were uninvolved. Curiosity then ensued, naturally. It’s become no more weird or existential now than when it started and there was no name calling from those who frequent the DoI, which is more than can be said of others. But, hey ho…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

From my recollection of the late 70s (from 77 onwards) if you were playing bass in any sort of covers band that was doing Top 30 hits rather than "rock" you needed to have your slap bass chops up to scratch.

then you woke up only to realize you were born in 1998, 

yes, there was a band(s) who specialized in the latest pop songs / covers including Disco, playing from musical scores , these bass players in those bands would sight read the score ,, & use a plectrum, >Dang<

in the 70s you played vinyl heavy slap stuff like P Funk / Larry Graham in the "UK" ? you would lose your "ordinary friends" who would label you as weird  & maybe get a call from the police to see if you're alright,

that's why i have a chapter on L.G & how morden gentrified only like him because they can play hair, they know nothing or care about "the struggles" 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

No it’s not. Having been the victim of bullying and witnessed it both in a commercial setting and as an educator, I know what it is and this hasn’t been it, or anything close to. In this instance, someone mentioned that it felt like a DoI type thing when said thread contributors were uninvolved. Curiosity then ensued, naturally. It’s become no more weird or existential now than when it started and there was no name calling from those who frequent the DoI, which is more than can be said of others. But, hey ho…

there are 2 main reason we get bullies

1 # the bully is being bullied themselves ,, in that case, they "often" bully

the people they trust the most, or dearest to them & sometimes get forced to bully by their "peer bully leader"

2 # bullies are scared of things many of us take for granted

in many cases bullies have extreme intense phobias, to combat their fear they become quassi narcissists, in this way they forcibly manipulate any situation

eg i knew a very very very tough bully ,, we eventually found out he was scared/ absolutely terrified of the Dark

i guess people who suffer from jealousy & trolls, may resort to target bullying on line =

many things, all un related to Bass Chat & this forum

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Say what?

th?id=OIP.ItueCtwXd6esGTD4hJitSQHaE4%26p

4 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Say what?

th?id=OIP.ItueCtwXd6esGTD4hJitSQHaE4%26p

judging from what you're saying its seems the trolls are here ,

Q, why would peeps go to such lenghts over a bedroom bassist & a story(s) they will probably deem as "all" fiction & do not want other peeps to hear or believe ?

the dark side of success, even failure, is strewn with jealousy & narcissismimage.png.623e52f7b77876952526a33dd667c16a.png

1 minute ago, Bean9seventy said:

Q, why would peeps go to such lenghts over a bedroom bassist & a story(s) they will probably deem as "all" fiction & do not want other peeps to hear or believe ?

the dark side of success, even failure, is strewn with jealousy & narcissismimage.png.623e52f7b77876952526a33dd667c16a.png

If I had any clue what you're on about I might be inclined to take offence.

As it is, I don't, so we're good. 👍

Speculum decorum my son.

th?id=OIP._GOT-r-WavER7fxYiF11ZAHaEb%26p

Ave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

Are you saying that you're writing a story? If so, could I advise you to write in reasonably comprehensible English and with punctuation that generally adheres to the rules of punctuation? It may be easier for you to write this way, but it makes it hard to read.

Just now, tauzero said:

Are you saying that you're writing a story? If so, could I advise you to write in reasonably comprehensible English and with punctuation that generally adheres to the rules of punctuation? It may be easier for you to write this way, but it makes it hard to read.

i have no internet to download grammerly but hey ? my drum machine finger is still working image.png.7497e70bddc3b356e3f5502c30d9e032.pngb

• Like 1

Omg this thread is in danger of morphing into a standard Basschat Rickenbacker thread 🤣 

Once again @Bean9seventy is partially right - people in Mecca dance hall bands did sight read the stuff but only some played with picks 😉

The band I played in played more than one Parliament cover!! Not using a pick I might add. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

tomorrow i will start with The Fender Story ,, starting from mark king then moving directly into why Fender was never the face of "early" UK funk

if Fender ever reads this forum,

it has little to do with their product being bad, the issues we had were mostly cosmetic, & Fender does eventually win in the end,  image.png.f51b84dbe5f651795b8a0f11306d9d0e.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Omg this thread is in danger of morphing into a standard Basschat Rickenbacker thread 🤣 

Once again @Bean9seventy is partially right - people in Mecca dance hall bands did sight read the stuff but only some played with picks 😉

The band I played in played more than one Parliament cover!! Not using a pick I might add. 

The Modern Ted Heath Band ? they could play just about anything as long as was in notation with pick <) this video alas has an old fashioned bassist :D

18 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

its great, yet you missed out what would happen if you played Chocolate City

in say , the middle tamworth in 1975 ? these tunes were played "soft" in hidden bedrooms 

its why i tend not to listen too much to the modern gentrified bass crew , cheers 

Nice - some guys from a Mecca band played in our band for a while - they worked fully pro there was so much work. 

Their Mecca band did Earth Wind and Fire and other complex stuff - about 20 people in the band. Not dissimilar to the band which plays on Strictly Cone Dancing - but 1980!! 

4 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Nice - some guys from a Mecca band played in our band for a while - they worked fully pro there was so much work. 

Their Mecca band did Earth Wind and Fire and other complex stuff - about 20 people in the band. Not dissimilar to the band which plays on Strictly Cone Dancing - but 1980!! 

the mecca type bands had disco favorites ,

taste of honey, boogie oogie oogie

chic, everybody dance (plectrum heaven) & as you say various EWF joints

"Not dissimilar to the band which plays on Strictly Come Dancing" ?

100% true,

"Come Dancing" was in fact better in the 70s, 100% more user friendly, anyone, any dance couple could have a go & get a chance to seen on TV

& its as you say very much a live music type experience even today

so yeah 1976- 1980 i saw a few modern ted heath / mecca type line up bands inculding "for TV" at The Lyceum Ballroom, cheers ,, 

i missed the bob marley gig in 1975 ,

To conclude  - a large influx of smug, self congratulatory in jokes from a sub-clique of forum members trolling one person is unpleasant, does not promote inclusion and to my eyes leaves folks looking less than savoury. 

This is my perception, I am not looking to discuss individual contributors nor their opinion of me. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

To conclude  - a large influx of smug, self congratulatory in jokes from a sub-clique of forum members trolling one person is unpleasant, does not promote inclusion and to my eyes leaves folks looking less than savoury. 

This is my perception, I am not looking to discuss individual contributors nor their opinion of me. 

My sincere advice to you is to identify those posters whose jokes you dislike and to use the ignore button. If you think a member is being trolled or that inclusion is not being promoted then you should report the posts to the moderators and let them decide if anyone is being bullied. This avoids unpleasant confrontations.

Happy New Year :)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

tomorrow i will start with The Fender Story ,, starting from mark king then moving directly into why Fender was never the face of "early" UK funk

if Fender ever reads this forum,

it has little to do with their product being bad, the issues we had were mostly cosmetic, & Fender does eventually win in the end,  image.png.f51b84dbe5f651795b8a0f11306d9d0e.png

Do you have a connection to the interesting bass in the pic?