Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Before Level42

Bean9seventy

On 28/12/2021 at 08:55, Burns-bass said:

So the point here is that:

- Most funk bass players in the U.K. didn’t play Fender basses.

- The scene as we know it now was emerging, and the narrative imposed on history doesn’t always resonate with someone who was there at the time (see the 60s etc.)

- At the time Mark King wasn’t considered a funk pioneer, but this label has been applied retrospectively

- There was a small group of U.K. funk bassists clustered around London and Denmark Street that pioneered the genre

This is all good stuff. Personally, the fusion stuff here and the white socks, shirt strap Acid Jazz stuff that emerged from it leaves me utterly cold, but I’m sure the scene was a lot of fun.

Translation hidden back on p5.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Translation hidden back on p5.

Which elicited this reply:

the dance floors were exciting,

think the music industry thing was a drink too big & a sandwich too small, for me especially

yes, there was a lot to it, Denmark st 1976 -80 ,, fact No1, get it right ,

• Like 1

You have to read between the lines (or the commas)!! We have had these threads before and whilst some is difficult to follow much is not that challenging… I get the impression he thinks some of us don’t get the points he’s making - which is very likely if you weren’t there - it’s extraordinary really that there was a whole U.K. dance scene based around several bands and really good dance music (with exceptional bass) in the early 80s - hence the responses……. 🤪

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

image.png.0f5f62241c6bfe5920b6b32ccb935626.png

cannot belive i have 4 whole pages of geeks talking about geek stuff, from eating spuds to cleaning ferrets,, wow

before i get into the next chapter on Fender basses i would like to shout this bass player out  ,, young guy, a little shy ,

saw him doing the entire Bowie, Roxy Music vamp in soho recently ,, & yes he can slap little bit Hello Guy

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Escobars Dad said:

Senõres, can I interest you in a leetle taste of highest quality Colombian Plaster Jama? It may make this thread more, how you say, comprehensible.

Adios Amigos, till next time.

Hola Amigo.

Say hi to skinny next time you meet.

:ph34r:

• Like 1