Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Before Level42

Bean9seventy

2 hours ago, Bleat said:

Have I fallen into some sort of worm hole and emerged into an alternate reality or is this just some bad nonsensical nightmare featuring Mark King?

You obviously were in with the wrong lot in the 70s/80s!! If you think this is bad you should have seen 1967 (quite a lot of people were in a parallel universe for the whole year)!!!! 🤪

• Like 1

10 hours ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

Dude, Marcus was a major player already in 1978. Maybe not in the UK but in in the NY session scene. Where it mattered. 

In 1980 he was playing with Miles!! He did not come from nothing. 

College Talk, still trying to steal the crown ,, what you read was "not how it was ,, Marcus Miller was just a young start out player ,, un heard of basically

he started getting the extra work After gaining credit with ? Lonnie Liston Smith, The End ,,

There are a whole string of DJs who will tell you on average, the same thing, starting with Robbie Vincent , who is probably credited as capturing Lonnie Liston Smith the most,

without those kinds of DJs Marcus Miller may have remained un-known or been a one hit type bass player like the guy playing on the Santana funk tune

the threshold is for Marcus was circa 1980 ,,

So the point here is that:

- Most funk bass players in the U.K. didn’t play Fender basses.

- The scene as we know it now was emerging, and the narrative imposed on history doesn’t always resonate with someone who was there at the time (see the 60s etc.)

- At the time Mark King wasn’t considered a funk pioneer, but this label has been applied retrospectively

- There was a small group of U.K. funk bassists clustered around London and Denmark Street that pioneered the genre

This is all good stuff. Personally, the fusion stuff here and the white socks, shirt strap Acid Jazz stuff that emerged from it leaves me utterly cold, but I’m sure the scene was a lot of fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

- The scene as we know it now was emerging, and the narrative imposed on history doesn’t always resonate with someone who was there at the time (see the 60s etc.)

- At the time Mark King wasn’t considered a funk pioneer, but this label has been applied retrospectively

- There was a small group of U.K. funk bassists clustered around London and Denmark Street that pioneered the genre

This is all good stuff. Personally, the fusion stuff here and the white socks, shirt strap Acid Jazz stuff that emerged from it leaves me utterly cold, but I’m sure the scene was a lot of fun.

Thank you.  I've read it all through a couple of times but was unable to draw any conclusions.  Was this via Google translate?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

...and Marcus Miller would be working in a McDonalds today if it wasn't for some guys that used to hang out in Denmark St. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

i might as well be a time traveller since few people were even born in the 70s

the IBM they talk about was from 1975 ? ,, which is a year before 1976,  a big year in america because it was exactly 200 years old, 1776 - 1976 CMOS U.S

So windows 11 wants a new TPC & also change the Bios from "Legacy" to E1 / ?

jOHN tALL bUTT

I was born rather before the 70s, and if you did a search for the demographics poll, you'd find that there's quite a lot of us. And CMOS was around before 1976, it had started making inroads when I was playing with TTL 74-series in about 1970. But what this has to do with Windows 11, I have no idea.

And Marcus Miller isn't a household name now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Thanks. I've read through this thread several times, and I didn't even understand the parts I understood. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

The Average White Band, early '70s.

If you are suggesting that The AWB from the early 70's, were a Brit Funk band, on a 'Bean9seventy thread', you might as well end your life now.

Even then, If you manage to escape with your life still intact, there is a small matter of 'Last.fm' hunting you down...."The Average White Band are a Scottish funk and R&B band.."

:D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lowdown said:

If you are suggesting that The AWB from the early 70's, were a Brit Funk band, on a 'Bean9seventy thread', you might as well end your life now.

Even then, If you manage to escape with your life still intact, there is a small matter of 'Last.fm' hunting you down...."The Average White Band are a Scottish funk and R&B band.."

"I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it alright."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Last time I checked, Scotland was part of Great Britain and therefore British. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Indeed...

Tchhhh - you guys and your semantics 🤪😂😂👍

I suppose I’d better join in - the Average White Band, by the late 70s, we’re using Musicman Stingray basses. Later still they were using Yamahas - (BBs I think) - in the early 70s, Alan Gorrie used a Precision and Hamish Stuart a Mustang - until the mid 70s Fender was still the bass for R and B. 

• Like 1