Why become a member? ×

Level 42 Before Level42

Bean9seventy

36 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

For the uninitiated, Mark King was originally a drummer - worked in a London music shop (Macaris says @Bean9seventy) - the IOW stuff predated this AIUI. It was only when someone pointed out to me he was playing drums on bass that I suddenly got the principle. He borrowed a Gibson (EB2?) bass for their first recording session doing Love Meeting Love. The band I was in at the time covered that song (I think the keyboard player had a 12” single of it). MK was turned on to the Jaydee Supernatural bass by Gary Barnacle’s (sax player who played with them and recorded with them - did lots of sessions in the 80s) brother’s white Jaydee. 

If you buy Stuart Clayton’s excellent tab/manuscript books on Level 42 there’s a lot of info on the band history and Mark’s instruments. 

The first person I ever saw using a Jaydee was Steve Barnacle when he was in Rick Wakeman's band.

1 hour ago, Bean9seventy said:

i might as well be a time traveller since few people were even born in the 70s

the IBM they talk about was from 1975 ? ,, which is a year before 1976,  a big year in america because it was exactly 200 years old, 1776 - 1976 CMOS U.S

So windows 11 wants a new TPC & also change the Bios from "Legacy" to E1 / ?

jOHN tALL bUTT

image.thumb.png.6171e643383928494a4ff65da3c3efa1.png

tr?

This you, baby?

tron.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

we do noy buy "return to forever" or the missuagusghoo orcrester ,, thats college talk ,, their way of trying to steal the crown ,, it was born on the dance floors

thanks tho

All dance music is born of the streets, on the dancefloor. That is true.

The only beef I've had with Level 42 not being on the level is that time I had to return a misplaying copy of "Guaranteed", only to find that it certainly wasn't guaranteed. I could not get an exchange nor a refund. Then I realised the true colours of this situation, I'd be stuck with this coaster forever now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I didn't say that Marcus was a household name in '78 (or even now). What I'm saying is that his session career was well underway at that point, so wasn't unknown around the NY studio scene. I don't think it's fair to say he'd be unknown if it wasn't for a couple of guys in the London scene.

M8 ? 1978, in the UK LONNIE LISTON SMITH was a band DJs gave out to their fans as wild cards on white promo labels ,, there was no talk about marcus miller , until the great threshold of 1980

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

You’ve caused me to have to change my t-shirt after covering it in coffee, through laughing.

4th time, it also includes why very few early UK street funk bassists never had,  or would go near a Fender Bass ,, 

how at 1st ,, The face of Brit Funk was never Fender,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bean9seventy said:

4th time, it also includes why very few early UK street funk bassists never had,  or would go near a Fender Bass ,, 

how at 1st ,, The face of Brit Funk was never Fender,

I'm sure I've seen these clues in The Times' Cryptic Crossword before.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

M8 ? 1978, in the UK LONNIE LISTON SMITH was a band DJs gave out to their fans as wild cards on white promo labels ,, there was no talk about marcus miller , until the great threshold of 1980

Dude, Marcus was a major player already in 1978. Maybe not in the UK but in in the NY session scene. Where it mattered. 

In 1980 he was playing with Miles!! He did not come from nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

Dude, Marcus was a major player already in 1978. Maybe not in the UK but in in the NY session scene. Where it mattered. 

In 1980 he was playing with Miles!! He did not come from nothing. 

Good luck getting that over to Cryptic Meg.

I believe Lonnie Liston Smith met Marcus during Jingle sessions or some club gig, mid 70's. Marcus was certainly known in New York during the mid to late 70's.

He played on this (1978) and I believe he wrote it in 1975:

Edited by lowdown