Why become a member? ×

GAS 2022 is here!!

Bunion

I plan on (yes I know ....) reducing my electric bass collection to 2 (from 4) and my EUB/upright collection to 2 (from 3) so I guess that means I have reverse GAS (is that vacuum?).

That said, I am likely to move on my nearly-new R*ck 4003 and replace with a nice old (or old-looking) Precision. So my GAS is for a nice P bass to add to my phenomenal 1983 Fullerton '62 Jazz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I don't know know whether to feel happy that I'm sorted or sad that there's limited scope for lust on the horizon... 

Don't worry, something musicman shaped will come up to tempt you and I give you until March for you to have a new amp 😂

I have a few bits I'd be tempted by should they come up........

I regret selling my Epiphone thunderbird classic pro, the pups in them are great and the neck is nice and thin. If I could get my mitts back on it I'd be happy.

I'm not sure on how sold I am on my Precision. It's one of the nicest P basses I've played, but I think the way it widens out around the 12th fret is what I don't like about it. I'm not up the dusty end much, but playing something like Lost Woman by the Yardbirds is where I really notice it. If I were to replace it, I think a JMJ Mustang or maybe a limelight p with a j neck would be nice.

And maybe a small 1x 10 or 12 cab.......

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Don't worry, something musicman shaped will come up to tempt you and I give you until March for you to have a new amp 😂

A Musicman is always on the horizon 😂. My old 2 band Stingray had a fabulous neck. But a G+L L2000 with a wider flat neck would be the only real bait and they don't exist generally.

And the only potential amp would be a second Mesa BB750 as a backup. But again, pretty rare stuff - there's a couple around but they're crazy expensive. And my other amps are fine tbh. 

20 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

What like this one???? 

😂

Yup, saw it this morning. It's both lovely and pretty tempting!

14 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

A Musicman is always on the horizon 😂. My old 2 band Stingray had a fabulous neck. But a G+L L2000 with a wider flat neck would be the only real bait and they don't exist generally.

And the only potential amp would be a second Mesa BB750 as a backup. But again, pretty rare stuff - there's a couple around but they're crazy expensive. And my other amps are fine tbh. 

So you're saying you're going to look into a custom order from G&L?? 🤔😂

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

So you're saying you're going to look into a custom order from G&L?? 🤔😂

Not unless its under £500, I've given up on expensive basses. Cheap ones are much more satisfying. And you never lose much on them if you sell them. Ask me how I know 😂

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I’m in the mood to acquire a Squier CV 60s P and upgrade the buggery out of it, just for the doing of it.

That just happened to be my last acquisition of 2021 a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why I got it but I guess I was just satisfying curiosity and to beat my self-imposed anti-GAS embargo for next year. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/12/2021 at 10:29, Eldon Tyrell said:

2022 will also hopefully be the year that I finally get hold of an EBMM Stingray 4, 2 EQ, natural finish, and maple FB. Needs contouring (so no pre-EB, Classic or Old Smoothie slab body). I know they exist but there aren't probably that many floating around. The photo shows a classic, so it is almost what I want (but lacks the contouring).

115405955_EBMMStingray42EQNaturalMapleFB.thumb.jpg.f5e4f8f6dce15dbd457e882e7cfcfce7.jpg

You honestly don't miss the lack of contour, I didn't on my classic anyways.....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

You honestly don't miss the lack of contour, I didn't on my classic anyways.....

Well, for a short time I owned a 2006 EBMM SUB, the US made no-frills Stingray. It had a slab body, like the Classic, and it just did not work for me. Real shame. Great bass but not for me. Well, someone else will hopefully love it.

5 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Well, for a short time I owned a 2006 EBMM SUB, the US made no-frills Stingray. It had a slab body, like the Classic, and it just did not work for me. Real shame. Great bass but not for me. Well, someone else will hopefully love it.

Fair enough each to his own. I want a US Sterling maybe this year. Sold the classic, kept my Ray34 for now.

Just now, lozkerr said:

We've added several songs to our sets that originally had synth basslines and I'm desperately hoping my multi-effects unit can get reasonably close to the original sounds. Otherwise I'll be going through far too many pedals. Yes, Tears For Fears, I'm talking to you, come on.