Why become a member? ×

GAS 2022 is here!!

Bunion

I went rather overboard in 2021 and am determined 2022 is going to be a year of not buying any more kit; instead a year for actually using the gear I've got far more than I did in 2020 and 2021 due to circumstances largely outside of my control (well, most of the population's control). 

I'm still on the lookout for a Hohner B2A or Jack bass but other than that (and any strings I may need although in all the years I've been playing I've yet to break one and I'm sure I have enough spares lying around) I need to be strong and stuck to my guns for once. 

Please think of me in your prayers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I went rather overboard in 2021 and am determined 2022 is going to be a year of not buying any more kit; instead a year for actually using the gear I've got

Completely echo this. 

I went through a complete gear refresh this year, from basses to amps to pedals; I think the only thing that stayed from previous years was my TU-3 tuner and maybe my cables.

But i ended up with a really nice bass and amp setup and set of very functional boss effect pedals that cover all the basics: drive, octave, wah, synth and compression.  

Looking forward to getting really stuck into them all in 2022 and maybe getting back out there into the band thing after a few years hiatus. 

That being said, I really like the look of the broughton pre's - will have to keep GAS at bay until at least my birthday in April lol

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 2

That B&G bass looks fantastic, and if it’s anywhere near as good as their guitars it will be amazing.

For me GAS 2022 isn’t even a thing. 2021 has been such a dreadful year for my finances that I can’t possibly justify spending on gear that may not be earning it’s keep. Fortunately I’m not desperately needing anything, but if my gigs start to return to some state of normality I’d like to investigate changing some amplification. Had a hankering after something Aguilar / Barefaced maybe, or possibly even a bigger Fender Rumble as I’ve recently been using my 100w combo on small gigs and loved it. 

I got the P bass I had been waiting for for over a year in September... it's amazing.
A couple of weeks ago I picked up another bass, cheaper and... bit underwealmed as it doesn't add anything to what I've got. So maybe I've reached peak bass? 
Moral is - no GAS at the moment but wouldn't be surprised if some whim takes my fancy next year. 

@funkle's build thread is quite inspiring! 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing I need or want so I foresee a gear-free 2022... but I know only too well how GAS comes at you unexpectedly from out of the sun.  Probably my weakest moment would be if a decent sub-4kg Rickenbacker or faker came along.

I think I've peaked in 2021 🙄😭

Ampwise I picked up the best one I've ever played and really can't see me finding anything better. I've figured out that I don't like any class D ones enough to keep them apart from my Quilter and the 2 bigger other amps I have are brilliant. So no more amps on the horizon. 

Cabs have been settled for years now with a couple of Barefaced Big Baby's. Easy to haul around and can take anything that I do with them. 

Basses - I'm settled with 3 now and I've learned what it is I like about necks. The main reason I've flipped any over the last few years is because of the neck profile. My Zon and Cort main basses both have flattish radius necks and that's the key for me. The build quality, sound and finish on both is exceptional. And my 50's Classic Lacquer P Bass is going nowhere - the neck is wide but slimmish and tricks my hands into thinking its flat as a result. (There's a lovely Sandberg Ken Taylor in the classifieds that I know has a flat neck profile and is an absolute steal but I mustn't keep looking at it....) 

Accessories - I changed my straps over the year and settled on a few Richters. I was surprised how much better I got on with them than my Monos which I had used for years. The biggest change has been getting rid of multieffects and menus and going back to knobs and individual pedals. Santa has just dropped off a few bits to complete that journey and the only potential thing for the future is a synth pedal maybe. 

I don't know know whether to feel happy that I'm sorted or sad that there's limited scope for lust on the horizon... 

Edited by Mudpup

2022 will also hopefully be the year that I finally get hold of an EBMM Stingray 4, 2 EQ, natural finish, and maple FB. Needs contouring (so no pre-EB, Classic or Old Smoothie slab body). I know they exist but there aren't probably that many floating around. The photo shows a classic, so it is almost what I want (but lacks the contouring).

115405955_EBMMStingray42EQNaturalMapleFB.thumb.jpg.f5e4f8f6dce15dbd457e882e7cfcfce7.jpg

• Like 2

I'm mostly going to invest in improving my playing this year. I'm getting some lessons to improve my sloppy technique and theory. Lots of jam sessions to push me to improvise.

I may sell my Musicman Sterling Ray34 and Ray35 to buy a full fat EBMM Stingray 4. Need to try one to see how much better than my Sterling's it is.

I may also treat myself to the Justin Chancellor signature Cry Baby fuzz wah

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

317323738_SpectorEuro4XBlackStainAsh.thumb.jpg.68ea52dc38a13f5f8ce966006ddd5987.jpg

If they did one in high gloss flamed black (so like the blue one, but black). I'd be giving it some consideration.

The only thing in my head is that the desire for a Spectorbird was more about the desire/ownership of something made in very small numbers (if that makes sense).

Aside from a EuroLT, none of my (current) flock of basses are particularly mainstream, high volumes.  The desire to own one of these may wane when every Tom, Richard or Harry is using them.

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

If they did one in high gloss flamed black (so like the blue one, but black). I'd be giving it some consideration.

The only thing in my head is that the desire for a Spectorbird was more about the desire/ownership of something made in very small numbers (if that makes sense).

Aside from a EuroLT, none of my (current) flock of basses are particularly mainstream, high volumes.  The desire to own one of these may wane when every Tom, Richard or Harry is using them.

Well, thank God then that probably not that many Eldon's will buy one 😉 

BTW, if you are interested in something made in very small numbers, you may want to contact me. I have a Spector Forte in a rare finish. Only two were made. Spector's former VP, PJ Rubal, owns one and I own the other. Could be a delayed Christmas gift?