Why become a member? ×

What Are You Up to This New Years Eve ?

Bluewine

If we’re still allowed I’ll be gigging in a seaside hotel, playing various sorts of stuff for any guests that have managed to get there. If circumstances change then it will be an evening in watching Jools Holland and whatever else is on TV.

Obviously I’m holding out for option 1. 

• Like 1

Assuming that nothing else, happens before NYE, we will be happily drinking at a party at a mate's house (a singer I work with from time to time).

A couple who would normally be there will be gigging with their acoustic duo at a pub down the road, but the last time gig I did on NYE a few years ago (in a big pub in the middle of Leeds) was frankly a waste of time. We used to usually get pretty decent crowds there (hence being asked to play on NYE), but attendance in the first set was pretty sparse. Then at half time, a load of people told us they were setting off soon to avoid the rush for taxis after midnight, so we ended up playing to ten people or so who happened to live in the city centre.

I'd rather see the new year in with friends with a beer in my hand... 

Theoretically playing for DeVere hotels in Reading but, with omicron doing its thing you never know. Pretty sure ticket sales for the event are way down. Either way, unless force majeur comes into play, NYE is a decent player even if we end up staying home. 

• Like 1

I've got nothing booked so looking out for bands that need a bass player or venues that need a band, quite possible there will be cancellations this year.

To be honest though, I'm not really expecting there to be any gigs again this NYE,  SO we'll probably order Italian and watch a movie.

• Like 1

Out gigging in Paisley. It had been cancelled and is now on again with lower numbers. It remains to be seen who actually turns out as it was fully sold out before.Due to restrictions in Scotland the venue has had to split the event in to two shows with seating and table service. Glad to be out anyway. It was either that or bed. At least I won't have to watch Jools Holland and his usual suspects again...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, peteb said:

Assuming that nothing else, happens before NYE, we will be happily drinking at a party at a mate's house (a singer I work with from time to time).

A couple who would normally be there will be gigging with their acoustic duo at a pub down the road, but the last time gig I did on NYE a few years ago (in a big pub in the middle of Leeds) was frankly a waste of time. We used to usually get pretty decent crowds there (hence being asked to play on NYE), but attendance in the first set was pretty sparse. Then at half time, a load of people told us they were setting off soon to avoid the rush for taxis after midnight, so we ended up playing to ten people or so who happened to live in the city centre.

I'd rather see the new year in with friends with a beer in my hand... 

Hi Pete,

Good to hear from you. Yeah, I like you're plan for New Years Eve.

I'm in New Jersey having a blast with 2 generations of family. However, Covid has thrown a few obstacles at us.

I'll be back in Wisconsin in time for that 3-7 New Years Eve gig. Really, those early hours and short commute make all the difference in the world.

Happy Holidays to you and you're family Pete. Stay in touch.

Daryl aka Blue

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theplumber said:

Out gigging in Paisley. It had been cancelled and is now on again with lower numbers. It remains to be seen who actually turns out as it was fully sold out before.Due to restrictions in Scotland the venue has had to split the event in to two shows with seating and table service. Glad to be out anyway. It was either that or bed. At least I won't have to watch Jools Holland and his usual suspects again...

Nice, I hope the gig in Paisley is a " go "

Blue

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graham said:

I've got nothing booked so looking out for bands that need a bass player or venues that need a band, quite possible there will be cancellations this year.

To be honest though, I'm not really expecting there to be any gigs again this NYE,  SO we'll probably order Italian and watch a movie.

Have a great New Years Eve gig or no gig Graham.

Blue

8 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Theoretically playing for DeVere hotels in Reading but, with omicron doing its thing you never know. Pretty sure ticket sales for the event are way down. Either way, unless force majeur comes into play, NYE is a decent player even if we end up staying home. 

Mrtcat, I hope we all have better stories for NYE next year.

Blue

17 hours ago, Rich said:

A *fingers crossed* gig with Train To Skaville at the Cheese & Grain in Frome, supporting 'SOS' (Abba tribute band). Should be an absolutely belting night.

(Now watch it all go horribly wrong...)

Hi Rich,

My fingers are crossed for you. I hope the gig happens.

Blue

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rich said:

A *fingers crossed* gig with Train To Skaville at the Cheese & Grain in Frome, supporting 'SOS' (Abba tribute band). Should be an absolutely belting night.

(Now watch it all go horribly wrong...)

Now that sounds like a great night, Rich, fingers crossed it works out ok

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll be playing a gig at a local pub 2-3 minute drive (0.7 miles). They haven’t got a late licence for the band so we have to finish by 11pm! Going to try and pack up as soon as it finishes and get round and watch a friends nye gig round the corner and have a beer🤞🍺

Think it will also probably be the last time I play with the current band. I’ve been in it 5 years on and off. Not going anywhere, so time for a change next year. 

• Like 2

Local restrictions mean that I’ll probably be doing what I did last NYE (and, to be honest, pretty much any NYE), which is sweet FA, interspersed with lamenting how bad the hootenanny is again (well it’s traditional, isn’t it?).

I absolutely detest NYE; always felt like I was being forced into spending £££s on rounds, having faux-fun with a bunch of secondhand strangers I couldn't care less about and not getting to bed until 4.00am.

I'd sooner - and will - be at home, dinner, bottle of red and having a decent night's sleep.  No fecking Hootenanny or Chic on the Beeb, either.

That's what I'll be doing. 

• Like 2

Me and the wife usually have a party for two, which sadly isn't as dirty as it sounds. 

We stay in. Stick on some tunes, and crack open some booze. Usually by about 10 o'clock we're hammering the karaoke with mixed results. 

Mixed because she's a singer, and there's a very good reason I'm a bass player. 

We usually find new years has been and gone before we get around to checking. 

Being a proper, miserable to the bones, old sh@t, I can't imagine anything worse than going out on New year's Eve. 

Edit.

Sorry, yeah I can. The only thing I can think of worse than being out drinking for new years, is being out gigging for new years. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Being a proper, miserable to the bones, old sh@t, I can't imagine anything worse than going out on New year's Eve. 

I agree with that, the only exception being gigging. No gig, no going out for us. Apart from last year lockdown, we need to go back a number of years for us not to have had a NYE gig.

I wasn't too keen on going to NYE parties and similar even when I was younger either. The worst one was NYE 1999, in London, where my then BF and I wanted to see the fireworks in person as opposed to the TV, and enjoy the 'new millennium' atmosphere. It was crap, we weren't allowed anywhere near the action, nothing was open to the public, people were either being crushed in small corners with a hint of a view or wandering aimlessly in the streets... we went home and swore we'd watch it all on TV in the future.

• Like 1