Why become a member? ×

What Are You Up to This New Years Eve ?

Bluewine

17 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Edit.

Sorry, yeah I can. The only thing I can think of worse than being out drinking for new years, is being out gigging for new years. 

It entirely depends on what kind of gig you end up playing. Certain places, landlords and/or audiences make it an absolute ordeal from all points of view and totally not worth it, no matter how handsomely you may get paid.

There needs to be a lot of recce work on the place, the logistics and the clientele before accepting a NYE gig. (Indeed, if possible, before accepting any gig, but that's not always easy.)

I played 2019 NYE to a sold out pub (top trick, play the smallest pub in London & you too can see SOLD OUT written next to your band name!) but this year will be similar to the sedate affair that was last year. I'm working in the day and then with my missus in the evening explaining to the kids that I am not drunk! 

I think I was a bit curt in my initial reply. The reason I replied "getting older" is because Hogmanay (NYE) is my birthday. A plan of sorts has formed - we managed to snag a table at my wife and I's favourite restaurant (weird time though - 4.45pm - but having said that my body clock's all out of whack anyway with the holidays so it could be any meal really) and I will not be taking the car. Later on, probably Jools on the telly with a few drams for the run up to the bells. Hopefully get blasted by horns from the ships in the harbour at midnight :D

Second Hogmanay in a row not playing live - that sucks but so does loading in/out on your birthday so pros and cons...

Edited by neepheid

All being well, having a party at home with our family: our son and his wife (who we haven’t seen in 2 years as they live in Madrid) and our daughter, her husband, and our 2 grandkids. We’ll probably risk asphyxiation by following the Spanish tradition of trying to eat a grape on each stroke of midnight.

Before covid hit we sometimes had a get-to-gether of friends from church.  There would be a few daft party games, good food and (non-alcoholic) drink.  The fact it was New Year's Eve was immaterial.  Come 12.15am we all went home!

I've never understood why some people make NYE such a big deal.  There's that awful countdown, party poppers going off and a rendition of a song no-one understands.  The date changes but that's it.  Life goes on as before.

If you are going out, have a great time but life after midnight will be the same as before the clock strikes 12 - only a bit drunker!

• Like 1

Same gig as we have done the three years before last year , dinner dance at a hotel in Ashton Under Lyne, only downside is we have to be there from 3.30pm to set up then don’t play till 9.45 , strict 2 45 minute sets and off at 11.45 pm when the DJ takes over , we then have to hang around till around 1.30 to pack up. Good payer which sort of compensates for it and suppose we should be grateful to be gigging with everything that’s going on. Event was sold out a while ago but will be interesting to see how many people either decide against attending or are isolating 

On 28/12/2021 at 20:42, Sarah5string said:

Staying in with the family, mostly avoiding superCOVID.

Its the most sensible thing to do 

I've read some of the earlier posts were people have said they have to gig and need the money but on the other hand they know the covid risk is very high no gig for a few quid is worth the risk to anyone 

I've not earned any money for 12 months so I understand how they feel but it's to risky to put lives at risk

Sorry if I have offend anyone it's not my intention just my personal view 

• Like 3

I used to love this time of year back in the 90's early 2000's as we always had gigs booked at Christmas and New Year. These days I'm not sure if I could be bothered with the lugging of gear and packing cars etc. I do miss it like hell if I ever see a live band right enough. I always think, I could do that.

Sad bugger.

On 25/12/2021 at 23:46, Rich said:

A *fingers crossed* gig with Train To Skaville at the Cheese & Grain in Frome, supporting 'SOS' (Abba tribute band). Should be an absolutely belting night.

(Now watch it all go horribly wrong...)

...and we're one man down already... guitarist has tested +ve. :(

On 25/12/2021 at 04:51, Bluewine said:

What are you up to this New Years Eve ?

I can't decide whether to do pink torpedo all, f**k all, bugger all or just stay I and do nothing. 

The last two years were nothing to celebrate and I doubt this one will be any better

• Like 1

I'm currently listening to Jazz standards (Now playing Body and Soul by Ella Fitzgerald) in my new Fleetwood Mac PJs and oversized dressing gown.

The rest of the evening will be spent sober, playing board games with the family, eating far too much junk food and then watching Hootenanny and the fireworks outside (we live on a hill so get a good view) before going to bed.

I'm so rock n roll.

Have a great evening all and Happy New Year!

PXL_20211231_203112793.jpg

• Like 1

Besides taking the dog for a walk before Ragnarök I have worked with the timing and accentuation of some disco bass lines and I spent some good time seeing "Closer The The Edge" while my loved significant other is at work. Due to the  working schedule we will have our new years dinner tomorrow.

"Closer To The Edge" has nothing to do with Yes or U2 but is about IoM TT. Nice view if you are into those kinds of things 🙂.

Happy New Year.

Edited by 42Hz

On 29/12/2021 at 15:12, drTStingray said:

Watching Jools Holland’s Hootenanny 😂😊

No NYE gigs or any other Covid super spreader events, thankfully. 

I've build two more bass traps today and mounted them to the walls. Roast dinner, rubbish TV, copious amount of Ale and some Jura whiskey. now watching Jools Holland not a big deal..

Edited by SH73
Added