Why become a member? ×

Jaw droppingly good albums for bass players to hear

Bilbo

6 hours ago, Wylie said:

Roberto Jospe, "Roberto Jospe Express" and Tom Kennedy, "Stories." The bassist on "Express" is Dane Alderson--unbelievably good player. 

He's such a terrific musician..! Oddly enough, I was only listening to him earlier today. Yellow Jackets & WDR Big Band with a blinding solo from him.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 18:47, Barking Spiders said:

Sons & Fascination, Sister Feelings Call and New Gold Dream - IMO Simple Minds lost something when Derek Forbes left. All his lines, even the simpler ones, are crackers that drive the tunes.

Agreed. I would also recommend Empires and Dance, the album before S&F, It is absolutely bass driven. Forbes is a brilliant bass player and SM became a shadow without him.

I like simple stuff, where the standout is the tone and feel.

Tim Commerford is great for that IMO, and RATM basslines are probably some of the most frequently played in teenagers bedrooms around the world.

Just like massive tone, and these pretty simple grooves, which Timmy C keeps totally locked down, allowing Morello to go nuts making helicopter noises or whatever. 🙃

• Like 1

So I'll bite in the spirit of the question, i.e. albums where I went crikey!... from bass perspective:

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo'

Jaco - eponymous, Joni & WR

+1 for Bruford

Yes - all 70's albums

Return to Forever, 'Romantic Warrior'

Stanley, 'School Days'

UK - eponymous

Rush - 'Permanent Waves' & 'Moving Pictures'

Mark King, 'Influences'

Steve Khan, 'Modern Times' w/ Anthony Jackson

Brand X, 'Masques'

There you go... some crackers in there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Just getting into an album called Then, a live recording of the Allan Holdsworth band. Flim Johnson sounds absolutely awesome. 

Just listened to a track off that- fierce playing from Holdsworth,  I  feel the bass can get overlooked on a lot of his stuff

On 24/12/2021 at 21:43, Bassfinger said:

A left field suggestion,  one that caught the attention of ny bass orientated ear recently;

Stormwatch, Jethro Tull.

Good pick. Even more left field as John Glasscock was ill and its reported he only played on three tracks. Ian Anderson played bass on the rest.

• Like 1

Pino”s playing on Paul Youngs No Parlez album, just brilliant.

John Entwhistle on the Who’s Next album

Derek Forbes work particularly on the Sons and fascination\Sister Feelings Call album and Mick Karn on the 1979 release Quiet Life and the 81 Tin Drum album.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bassatnight said:

Pino”s playing on Paul Youngs No Parlez album, just brilliant.

John Entwhistle on the Who’s Next album

Derek Forbes work particularly on the Sons and fascination\Sister Feelings Call album and Mick Karn on the 1979 release Quiet Life and the 81 Tin Drum album.

I, Assasin…Gary Numan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/12/2021 at 16:43, lowdown said:

He's such a terrific musician..! Oddly enough, I was only listening to him earlier today. Yellow Jackets & WDR Big Band with a blinding solo from him.

WDR Band with Richard Bona was a great show. On YouTube.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikel said:

Good pick. Even more left field as John Glasscock was ill and its reported he only played on three tracks. Ian Anderson played bass on the rest.

Inceed. Glascock only did Orion, Elegy and Flying Dutchman.

Anderson, as you say, did the rest, and to this day it blows me away how good he was. This is a long song, but check out the bass from about 5:30 onwards and you can hear that Anderson, who'd previously hardly touched the instrument, has a really nice controlled yet hard style on the olde 4 string. Add in some excellent production by Anderson and is a delight to listen to as a fan and as a bassist.