Why become a member? ×

Good places to trade a high end 6 string guitar for a bass

wintoid

I seem to enjoy buying and hate selling.  I really don't fancy eBay or selling something myself.  I could use a shop to sell on commission I suppose, but I was wondering which good shops do reasonable trade ins.

I've ended up treating myself to a rather nice guitar a while back and then realising I'm never going to be good enough to do it justice.  I should stick to bass.  So I need to trade in a 6 string against hopefully some sort of nice bass.    Places like Bass Direct or the Gallery are bass only, which doesn't help when you have a 6 string guitar to trade.

Just wondering which outlets people would be using.

@Gwilymis right. Shops make much bigger margins selling a punter a new guitar than your pre-owned model, unless perhaps it's uber-rare or vintage. The only place I can think of that might be worth a phone call is Peach Guitars in Colchester but they only have a handful of used instruments, in a shop which stocks thousands of guitars and basses. They'll take stuff on commission. If it's an acoustic avoid Hobgoblin for a guitar, they charge 30% commission.

• Like 1

Why not pay to use the Basschat Marketplace (if you haven't already of course)? Items Wanted and the Other Musical Items for sale/exchange could be your friend. Lots of bassists dabble with guitar too.

I wouldn't go near ebay or gumtree but Basschat is a friendly community (mostly!) and you can trust the member's feedback too.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Shops make much bigger margins selling a punter a new guitar than your pre-owned model

This. Shops are in business and need to make a decent profit in order to keep the lights on. If you want the convenience of a trade-in, you have to accept that you are going to get less for something than you would if you sold it privately. If you really don't want to sell it yourself, asking a shop to sell on commission is probably the next best thing. They will probably be able to get more for it than you would, although they have to offer a guarantee, clean and set it up, etc, which will eat into what you receive. Probably not the best time to sell an instrument right now, with everyone spending their spare cash on Christmas baubles. Do you really need a new bass right now?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Probably not the best time to sell an instrument right now, with everyone spending their spare cash on Christmas baubles. Do you really need a new bass right now?

No not at all, there's really no rush.  I'll have a think about that.  I guess maybe March-ish might be a better time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Another possibility is Wunjo. They do (did) comission sales and seem to achieve good prices.

I’ve heard a few people speak highly of Wunjo. Peach say they don’t do commission, so perhaps I’ll try Wunjo in the new year.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 08:21, wintoid said:

Places like Bass Direct or the Gallery are bass only, which doesn't help when you have a 6 string guitar to trade.

I noticed earlier today Bass Direct have Pre owned guitars listed for sale. I have no idea if this is a new thing or not. Could be worth a call. 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 19:32, TheLowDown said:

The only one I've made enquiries with in in the recent pat are Andertons, but they sound like stingebags.

No, they are a business. They (and most other businesses) don't really want your old kit. They offer low in the hope that you will take it away and sell it privately. They have to clean it, set it up/remedy any issues, offer a guarantee and see it sitting on the shelf with their money tied up in it until it sells. They'd rather not do that. If you don't want to make the effort to sell privately and want the convenience of trading in, it costs you. What's wrong with that?

Edited by Dan Dare

On 26/12/2021 at 19:32, TheLowDown said:

The only one I've made enquiries with in in the recent pat are Andertons, but they sound like stingebags. Up to around £150 they give you half value of what they think it's worth, £150- £!500 they will give you  two thirds, and above £1500 they give three quarters.

That doesn't sound stingy at all.  They give you up to 3/4 of the value of a high end guitar and then have to sell it at a lot less than list because it's pre-owned.  Where is the profit?  The only trade I've done was a bass for a bass at Wunjo.  I think they gave me around half the original price of the bass and I was happy with that.

• Like 3

On 24/12/2021 at 19:36, fretmeister said:

Sell it on thefretboard.Co.uk and then spend the money on whatever you like.

I have bought a couple of very nice guitars there. If you post a decent description including weight and good photos it should sell, priced right.
With something as expensive as a masterbuilt, I would leave it on consignment with one of the custom shop importers, like Peach or Coda. They will have the right buyers and should get a price that covers the commission, compared with a private sale.

Or just keep it.🙂You can’t  have too many nice guitars.

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 1