Why become a member? ×

why wait that long?

skidder652003

I actually quite liked Parachutes at first. But then, in my second year at university, the guy in the room above me in our shared house played it non-stop EVERY DAMN DAY for about 9 months. Christ that was hard work.

Their more recent output hasn't even registered on my radar.

• Like 1

Never liked them myself but before slagging them off i felt I had a duty to have a quick listen so had a quick skim through a greatest hits collection on youtube (taking one for the team here ...).

My observations: I dont think anyone in the band has ever heard of a rest - bass / guitar / piano / whatever just drone on and on, its a constant wall of noise with no dynamics or rhythmic content and this probably why they seemingly dont have many fans in the bass playing circles. The singer wandering in and out of falsetto all the time really irritates me. A small minority of their songs are above averagely catchy but I thinks its the singers distinctive slow motion yodelling vocal style more than any actual tune that make them memorable (for better or worse depending on whether you like it or not). 

Edited by bassman7755
  • Like 5

I don’t like Coldplays music, but that’s fine, you can’t like everything.

I have only ever heard nice things from a few people who have met various members, and apparently they are decent chaps, so I won’t have a go at them personally.

I do have a huge amount of respect for anyone that create music that obviously connects with a vast amount of people. They probably started off like anyone else looking for a life in music, wondering if they could make a living doing this instead of a ‘proper’ job. Fair doos they have done that and then some!

They have  accumulated huge fortunes, plus apart from Chris Martin they are all fairly unrecognisable/anonymous…win win! 

I have spent years playing in bands where I find the music generally tedious, annoying, and musically unsatisfying for no money or real appreciation, so I feel like the Coldplay guys have got it sorted.

It’s all about what you value though. Some people would be happy playing what they believe to be ‘superior’ music down the road in the local, to 3 men and a dog than compromise their artistic integrity. I respect that to, but I’d rather compromise, get paid well and have a few more people at the gig.

Edited by NJE
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Careful with that axe Eugene, quantity does not equal quality.

I completely agree, and didn’t mean to imply that it did.

Perceived quality comes down to the individual and is subjective, and whilst I don’t particularly like a lot of the music that racks up huge streaming and YouTube numbers, I can still respect anyone that can write something that sells and achieves a mass appeal….I can’t do it! If I could write a piece of pop fluff that stuck in people’s heads and got streamed 139 million times I would in a heartbeat.

My idea of quality may not be someone else’s, so I try to look at things objectively as much as possible. I don’t see quality in some huge critically acclaimed musical acts, but I still try and respect their achievements.

13 minutes ago, NJE said:

I can still respect anyone that can write something that sells and achieves a mass appeal….I can’t do it! If I could write a piece of pop fluff that stuck in people’s heads and got streamed 139 million times I would in a heartbeat.

But that now usually comprises of a team of songwriters and their dog. It's an industry and it functions as such. From 2019:

"Music Industry Contributes £5.2 Billion To UK Economy – New Figures Reveal."

https://www.ukmusic.org/news/music-industry-contributes-5-2-billion-to-uk-economy/

Also, there is an element of nepotism in the industry, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

It's a business.

A band such as ELO only ever achieved one number one hit, and that was because of Olivia Newton Johns Input(Xanadu), and yet a bland uninspiring act like Coldplay has two to their name, life was never fair, Coldplay aren't fit to lace up Jeff Lynn's boots who was an absolute musical genius ,that must p him off .

Edited by Mickyk
  • Like 1

Quite liked the first album. Everything since that I've heard seems very bland and 'phoned in'

I guess it's hard to break out of the mould which is why I have huge respect for artists like David Bowie who manage to reinvent themselves, often spurning commercial success. Bowie made some Turkeys (eg Tin Machine) but also some of the best music ever created

On 24/12/2021 at 11:44, Merton said:

I actually quite liked Parachutes at first. But then, in my second year at university, the guy in the room above me in our shared house played it non-stop EVERY DAMN DAY for about 9 months. Christ that was hard work.

Eee, you were lucky - I used to have a bedsit room next to a guy who I think had recently broken up with his GF, and played “Hello” by Lionel Ritchie almost continually all day, every day.    Hell now holds no terrors for me.....

Re the OP, apparently like others above I liked their earlier stuff up until around the X and Y album - in particular “Clocks” is a genuinely great song.     Everything I’ve heard recently seems to be bland generic festival-fare; with that awful ubiquitous compressed beat and “anthemic” chorus.

• Haha 1

I always considered them a band that made music for people who don’t like music, but like some kind of noise (any kind, be it someone talking or someone warbling) to be on in the background.

Formulaic pop (for want of a better phrase) has been around since music has had an industry, but time and especially technology has enabled people to really hone that sound, like a slightly bitter lukewarm soup that leaves no aftertaste. Hard to dislike. In fact, hard to form any opinion about, really…

• Like 1