Why become a member? ×

why wait that long?

skidder652003

The lovely wife and I had a very agreeable first date slating Coldplay and their miserable excuse for music, it's been something of a standing joke ever since.

Nothing against the individual members, never met them, but I find their stuff insipid and not worthy of the praise it receives and as for them being a great live act, I've seen much better in local pubs.

Why stretch it out to 2025? 

I made the mistake of watching some of the Coldplay documentary on Sky Arts a couple of weeks ago. They really encapsulate what is bad with current music...the sheer blandness of it. How much more magnolia music can they inflict on the public. It's all so safe, lacks creativity or risk.

Apparently they've taken 20yrs to release 9 dull albums! In comparison,  The Beatles recorded 13 albums in 8 years, many of which are still highly influential. 

Weren't they the ones who someone coined the term 'bedwetter core' to describe them.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 5

Thing about Coldplay is that although the music is pretty bland & insipid their songs are easily identifiable and can be hummed along to easily. I’m not a fan at all but I think there’s more to them than the blandness would suggest.

• Like 1

One of the few bands that truly irritates me, everyone is entitled to an opinion but the fact that they have achieved fame over so many so much more deserving bands will forever be a stain on humanity (ok, so might be a small over exaggeration but fair I think….)

I remember trying to start a conversation with my wife’s best friends new boyfriend. Always a challenge. Anyway, so I asked him if he was a music fan. Yes he replied ‘I love Coldplay’. I lost complete and utter respect for him with that one statement. I mentally got up and walked out of the room. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

They must be a great band, they are capable of inspiring such passion among so many.

Of course, with so many piling in straight away with such antipathy, anyone who likes them will be afraid to say so. Just like saying you don't like Prince gets you hauled up before the Basschat Thought Police. I personally find them quite harmless.

• Like 4

I’ve never been drawn to Coldplay, probably for all of the reasons already mentioned. However, I did come across this cover version which I really liked and it was only much later that I discovered it was a Coldplay song. I prefer this to the original. 

11 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

I remember trying to start a conversation with my wife’s best friends new boyfriend. Always a challenge. Anyway, so I asked him if he was a music fan. Yes he replied ‘I love Coldplay’.

I find I can get along with the rest of the human race much better if I put my 'musical self' to one side....... just bring it out if I meet a kindred spirit.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan, but I don't dislike Coldplay. I have nothing negative to say about them.

I've played several of their songs in cover bands and they always go down very well.

I applaud any band or musician that is this successful. Good on them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tauzero said:

They must be a great band, they are capable of inspiring such passion among so many.

Of course, with so many piling in straight away with such antipathy, anyone who likes them will be afraid to say so. Just like saying you don't like Prince gets you hauled up before the Basschat Thought Police. I personally find them quite harmless.

Well, I've never been a fan of Prince. I hugely appreciate his talent but his music does absolutely nothing for me...

Bring it on!!!!! 🥊🥊

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Parachutes is an amazing record. 

The first album was great, I really liked it - it came just after The Man Who from Travis (another great album), and was always on the car CD player for a year or so. I agree that the next few albums saw a slow decline from interesting arty-pop, (Hey, I liked Keane too), and into annoying stadium anthems (I hate 'get your lighters out' songs). 

I think it's become trendy to hate them - the same way U2 became people's favourite 'what happened to them?'.

I'm probably a decade too old but a great number of relationships were probably started by meeting your mate's mates at Coldplay gigs/festivals. 

I don't understand the level of hate they get. I'd rather listen to their stuff than an awful lot of the dross masquerading as music at the moment. 

Disagree with/ridicule my opinion if you want, I don't care. I've got a properly stinking cold -- just in time for xmas, spectacular timing -- so I'm feeling massively grumpy.

• Like 1