Why become a member? ×

This'll depress all you vintage Fender anoraks....

wateroftyne

...'cos it sure as hell depressed me.

Someone posted this photo on my home village's FB group of a local band from back in the day.

band.thumb.png.d2d833e175278350a25a3cf1186e5d8d.png

'Hellooooooo' says I - there can't have been many custom colour P's in the UK - never mind our little part of the North East - back then.

Intrigued, I went on the hunt and tracked down the bass player's step-son, who still lives in the area along with the man himself.

I asked the step-son what happened to the bass.

"Yeah, it was a sort of pastel turquoise pale blue finish. He sold it about ten years ago for pennies (£150 if my memory serves me well)."

*sigh*

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

7 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

How can you tell it's a custom colour on a black and white photo? 

I think at that point, the only 'standard' colour was Sunburst. There's a point of contention as to whether Oly White was standard or 'Custom'....but yeah....it ain't white either haha

Si

21 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

...'cos it sure as hell depressed me.

Someone posted this photo on my home village's FB group of a local band from back in the day.

band.thumb.png.d2d833e175278350a25a3cf1186e5d8d.png

'Hellooooooo' says I - there can't have been many custom colour P's in the UK - never mind our little part of the North East - back then.

Intrigued, I went on the hunt and tracked down the bass player's step-son, who still lives in the area along with the man himself.

I asked the step-son what happened to the bass.

"Yeah, it was a sort of pastel turquoise pale blue finish. He sold it about ten years ago for pennies (£150 if my memory serves me well)."

*sigh*

He probably sold it for thousands & just told his family he got £150 for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last year I looked at vintage Fenders for a bit a toyed with the idea of a nice mid 60s P. Didn’t go that direction in the end but one thing I did notice was a lot of shady people being shady, and a practice for being economical with the truth and wording things very carefully to give impressions of provenance 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

a practice for being economical with the truth

I’ve been looking for a late 60s early 70s P for quite a while now , and nearly every one I’ve looked at the seller has been economical with the truth, the favourite is “I thought it was all original “ , I don’t mind paying the going rate but they just wasted my time 

6 hours ago, bertbass said:

In 1972, Ps came sunburst as standard, if you wanted it in a colour it was 10% extra.  Oh, and left handed was 10% extra as well.

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I think if you wanted an A profile neck, that was extra too 

The hard case was extra too.

In fact, everything was extra, except the strings.

• Like 1