Why become a member? ×

Refreshing skillzzzz

woodyratm

Hey folks,

I’ve been struggling with my mental health last few years and I feel my technique has gone out the window. I can do stuff with my band but I want to improve. Now I’m married and removed the toxicity from my life I think I’m ready. 

Is there any resources people would actively recommend as a refresher? Scott’s bass lessons etc worth it? 

thanks!

Dave

For paid courses; I've used SBL and TalkBass.

• SBL has lots of material, most of which are very good but there isn't much structure to the courses. There are range of presenters so it isn't all Scott showing off which tends to happen on his You Tube videos.
  • Talk Bass is much more structured but very dry and academic. I've actually liked it more than SBL but your mileage may vary. You can get a feel for Marks courses from his free You Tube videos which are very similar in style.

I've seen a lot of positive comments about Ariane Cap and her courses that I saw on SBL are very good.

All of the above provide some sort of money back guarantee - 30 days \ 7 days \ 14 days and I would expect them all to be good to their word on this. So perhaps try one and see if it works for you and if not move onto the next.

For freebie stuff; I like the style of Luke the Bassist and also BassBuzz though the latter is more for beginners.

Good Luck ...

Edited by Gramski
duplicate

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, the real problem is there's too much out there. Whatever you decide on as your go-to resource, do things one at a time. Go deep rather than wide and don't skimp on the fundamentals. IMHO one on one tuition with someone reputable is the best value resource all round as you'll more than likely progress quicker.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Hawkins approach works for me.

As previously said (or written) there is a LOT of stuff out there, some good, some great but, for me it's all about whom we gel with.

SBL is good example, I've a gold fish type short attention span and, find the methodology and approach here frustrating, my fault not the teacher. 

I've discovered this gentleman and he nails for me. Zero faffing, instant gratification and good for memory jogging and light bulb moments. Works for me as I'm revisiting so to speak. 

I had a car prang few years back, suffered a head injury. Since had memory loss, poor concentration, headaches, insomnia blah blah blah , lost all interest in most of what I like/liked.

I can sort of sympathise with you.

Part of my latest rehab' is trying to get back into my music, rarely picked up a bass, guitar or erm piano since the prang... you know what I mean

😄

Edited by iconic
  • Thanks 1