Why become a member? ×

I get the "Female drummer" and "Ideally 18-30" kind of ads but..

leschirons

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, thought re-training camps alive & well in the UK, most commonly known as the workplace 🤣

It's these bloody awful online training courses that we have to do. They are quite obviously just a box ticking exercise. Leave the video playing in the background while working then do the ridiculously easy test in about 2 minutes. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I think that's probably very similar to the training we get. It's utter crap. 

We got it after "discriminating" against a team member because we didn't invite him for a night out. None of us liked him because we spend so much time putting right his incompetence. 

A colleague I used to work with, who did not drink for religious/cultural reasons, insisted that we should go to a dry premises for team social events - Christmas lunch and so on. When I pointed out that I was not forcing her to drink at a licensed premises, whereas I was prevented from doing so if we went somewhere dry, there was talk of "discrimination". Sadly, others were frightened by this and caved. I just dipped out of social occasions with them from then on if she was going. Thank Gawd I'm retired now and don't have to navigate that b/s.

Edited by Dan Dare

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

It's these bloody awful online training courses that we have to do. They are quite obviously just a box ticking exercise. Leave the video playing in the background while working then do the ridiculously easy test in about 2 minutes. 

Don't advertise or they'll be asking how many fingers was Joe holding up in his demonstration of a discriminatory salute.

24 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

A colleague I used to work with, who did not drink for religious/cultural reasons, insisted that we should go to a dry premises for team social events - Christmas lunch and so on. When I pointed out that I was not forcing her to drink at a licensed premises, whereas I was prevented from doing so if we went somewhere dry, there was talk of "discrimination". Sadly, others were frightened by this and caved. I just dipped out of social occasions with them from then on if she was going. Thank Gawd I'm retired now and don't have to navigate that b/s.

We have a chap in our team who doesn't drink or eat meat for religious reasons. He comes with us to the pub, has non alcoholic drinks and buys rounds including our booze. We respected his culture and he respected our lack of culture. Top bloke. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

We have a chap in our team who doesn't drink or eat meat for religious reasons. He comes with us to the pub, has non alcoholic drinks and buys rounds including our booze. We respected his culture and he respected our lack of culture. Top bloke. 

More than a top bloke I would say. If someone wasn't drinking in my company I would not expect them to buy alcoholic drink rounds as they are only drinking cheaper soft drinks. 

7 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

4 hours ago, ubit said:

More than a top bloke I would say. If someone wasn't drinking in my company I would not expect them to buy alcoholic drink rounds as they are only drinking cheaper soft drinks. 

Def, sounds like a decent chap. I`m quite happy to "go rounds" with my mates but they say we all get one round each then they stick together as expecting me to drink 8 to 10 pints of diet coke over a night is pretty unreasonable (I think I`d combust), plus as you say @ubit there is a lot of difference in cost. I`m not fussed over a drink each but a whole evening, well I`d be bankrupt at todays prices.

10 hours ago, TimR said:

Kevin Bacon, while not being strictly vegetarian, eats a mainly plant based diet.

Yep. It's amazing how many celebrities follow a plant based diet. Certainly with older professional musicians it seems increasingly popular. Interesting that the perception of veganism is typically the reactionary student who thinks everyone is entitled to their opinion when the reality I have seen is the vast majority just getting on with it and not being particularly in anyone's face about it. I guess this is why all the fast food companies that were traditionally the enemy of veganism are now having a vegan line.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

A colleague I used to work with, who did not drink for religious/cultural reasons, insisted that we should go to a dry premises for team social events - Christmas lunch and so on. When I pointed out that I was not forcing her to drink at a licensed premises, whereas I was prevented from doing so if we went somewhere dry, there was talk of "discrimination".

Not nice. But I find such people are thankfully in a minority ..... mainly people do not try to force their position (be it religious, dietary, alcohol or whatever) on others.

10 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Good to hear.... the only thing I'd say (echoing other comments) is that alcohol can be more expensive , so maybe the drinkers could find a way to factor that in.

If the non-drinker is giving the drinkers a lift then it's a nice touch if the drinkers don't allow the driver to buy a round.

14 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Good to hear.... the only thing I'd say (echoing other comments) is that alcohol can be more expensive , so maybe the drinkers could find a way to factor that in.

If the non-drinker is giving the drinkers a lift then it's a nice touch if the drinkers don't allow the driver to buy a round.

Don't worry, we don't let him buy more than one round at most and we let him know we appreciate it. We never let him drive because he's a bloody terrible driver!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Whats wrong with holding social events in non licensed premises? Not every event or night out has to involve alcohol. 

Saying that going somewhere dry is preventing you from having a drink is like saying going to an Italian is preventing you from eating tacos.

8 hours ago, ubit said:

Please tell me where you found a pub that sells cheap non-alcoholic drinks! 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Whats wrong with holding social events in non licensed premises? Not every event or night out has to involve alcohol. 

Saying that going somewhere dry is preventing you from having a drink is like saying going to an Italian is preventing you from eating tacos.

Unfortunately, that's British culture. 

A lot of people you think are your friends are actually just drinking buddies. 

Try to arrange something without alcohol and await the excuses. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Doddy said:

This is the UK, sadly every event or night out has to involve alcohol, or virtually noone will turn up. For a lot of people it is not possible for them to enjoy a night out without alcohol.

32 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Unfortunately, that's British culture. 

Agreed. 

11 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Who knew vegan rap would be even worse than jazz

To be fair, the "rap" above is by some deeply untalented people, who seem to labour under the misapprehension that attempting rhythmic spoken word to convey a message requires little more than a mouth and a serious lack of clue.

There's quite a lot of relatively decent musicians who are fiercely vegan - e.g. KRS-1, RZA of WuTang, all of Blink 182, Rob Zombie of White Zombie - and make music about it. And despite being a rabid meat-eater myself, it doesn't bother me a bit - in fact the singer in our band is vegan (but doesn't crow about it at all) and was part of the late 90s straight edge hardcore scene...

Meanwhile, here's some jazz:

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Blimey, @Leonard Smalls, that's a tough listen.

Late 70's ?

Microtonality from the time before the term was even invented.

It's not micro-tonal as such, tis Ornette Coleman's harmolodic thang where everything is just that bit Rong but somehow also just that bit Rite! Band is basically Ornette's Prime Time but under James Blood's name, 1978-9ish. Bass player is one of my faves - Jamaaladeen Tacuma...