Why become a member? ×

I get the "Female drummer" and "Ideally 18-30" kind of ads but..

leschirons

3 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

The only thought that occurs to me is that about 1.6% of the UK pop'n is vegan.

Even if we triple that percentage to allow for higher uptake among younger people that still potentially restricts the band to only about 1 in 20 aspiring singer / front persons*, a body which in itself is comprised in the main of deluded fantasists, front people who can't sing and singers who can't front.

So chuck in the requirement to be vegan and they might have an even longer wait than usual. Or they might not. My indifference is unshakeable.

* Look at me, all sensitive like.

I mean....that's still between 1-3 million people haha.

Si

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

That was in 2018 so I would imagine it was much higher than that now.

Also you can reasonably assume that as that is the general population, and 10% of 10-18 year olds are meat free, the number of vegans in the 'want to be in our band' age group is much higher.

54 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I mean....that's still between 1-3 million people haha.

Vegans, it seems, number about a million people in the UK and probably increasing every year.

Nevertheless, a back of an envelope calculation suggests that 19 out of 20 aspiring frontpersons will be salad dodgers and therefore ineligible to join the band. Now, given that at least 40% of aspiring frontpeople are talent-less nutters, 20% can't sing and 20% have the star quality of a an orange-pip then you're talking about 5% of 10%. 20%

Of course, a talented and engaging vegan frontie might be the first candidate through the door but sod's law says they won't be.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I wonder what would happen if Meatloaf or Kevin Bacon applied 

Um, Meat Loaf announces he no longer eats meat and is going vegan for Veganuary (inews.co.uk) 

Sorry links don't seem to work on this computer but feel free to google it. 

Edited by Cat Burrito
link fail!

4 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Um, Meat Loaf announces he no longer eats meat and is going vegan for Veganuary (inews.co.uk) 

He could change his name to Nut Loaf… probably suit him better.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I'm surprised to learn the percentage is as high as that. Given that most people either loathe or, at best, can't be bothered about most of the music they hear, the band may be limiting it's potential appeal a touch.

Certainly could not write any sort of job advert with those constraints. The training we got every year at work made it clear you cannot specify an age in a job advert. The direction we were given is you had to be careful with even office socials to not cause inadvertent exclusion... I realise this is a band advert... 

1 minute ago, zbd1960 said:

Certainly could not write any sort of job advert with those constraints. The training we got every year at work made it clear you cannot specify an age in a job advert. The direction we were given is you had to be careful with even office socials to not cause inadvertent exclusion... I realise this is a band advert... 

I think that's probably very similar to the training we get. It's utter crap. 

We got it after "discriminating" against a team member because we didn't invite him for a night out. None of us liked him because we spend so much time putting right his incompetence. 

5 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

He never so much ate meat as had it intravenously piped into his veins.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

Theatre and band adverts aren't covered. 

Otherwise you'd end up with 50 year old women playing the lead in Charlie and the chocolate factory, with 16 year old boys playing the part of Grandpa Joe.

The Spice Girls would have been a completely different group...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Kevin Bacon, while not being strictly vegetarian, eats a mainly plant based diet.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

45 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I think that's probably very similar to the training we get. It's utter crap. 

We got it after "discriminating" against a team member because we didn't invite him for a night out. None of us liked him because we spend so much time putting right his incompetence. 

Yep, thought re-training camps alive & well in the UK, most commonly known as the workplace 🤣