Why become a member? ×

I get the "Female drummer" and "Ideally 18-30" kind of ads but..

leschirons

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I've never understood this joke.

Apart from the fact that it's very old now, the fact is that vegans have to tell people they are vegan, just the same way as those who don't drink have to tell others they don't drink. 

For the record, I'm not vegan. 

It is very old but told each time as if the teller was Oscar Wilde reborn. If I may offer perspective on this one, having been vegetarian for almost 30 years - dare I say, before it was cool - and knowing quite a lot of vegans, I find vegans tend to have to speak up when they're innocently offered (or asked about why they won't have) milk in their tea, butter on their toast, cheese on their bread, milk chocolate on their digestives, etc, any of the animal products they choose not to consume which are a mundane part of everyday life. Then they're castigated (not to their face, of course) for telling everyone they're vegan in the stereotypical way and we all have a laugh at them for vegan signalling, having usually been forced into speaking up or asked about it in the first place.

For the meat eaters, just FYI they're making jokes about you in the same way when you're boring the tits off people insisting on telling then about your barbecue, how you slow roast your lamb shanks, your overnight marinades and how they don't know what they're missing (hint, many of them do and moved on). Sneaky vegans are everywhere, conspiring against you.

Now, could someone tell me again how great their last rare steak was, it has been so long since someone insisted on telling me.

Oh wow, I've just veggie-signalled. Ooops!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

I mean, there are vegan folk who are excellent singers and carnivores who 'screech like Yoko Ono'.....what's your point?

Also, Yoko Ono wasn't/isn't vegan, so weird reference.

Si

I didn't say she was vegan.  I just used her as a point of reference.  Keep up, bonny lad.

• Like 1

So what?

The same way that age would rule me out of a gig with a teenage band, turning up with a leather gig bag would rule me out of a vegan band. So, I'm just not going to bother even trying. No harm, no foul.

There's currently an ad on Facebook for a rhythm guitarist for a metal band, and the number one priority is having long hair.  Seems daft to me, but let them crack on.

11 minutes ago, Doddy said:

There's currently an ad on Facebook for a rhythm guitarist for a metal band, and the number one priority is having long hair.  Seems daft to me, but let them crack on.

I wonder what they’d do if flea applied I’m sure they wouldn’t say no 😄

The only thought that occurs to me is that about 1.6% of the UK pop'n is vegan.

Even if we triple that percentage to allow for higher uptake among younger people that still potentially restricts the band to only about 1 in 20 aspiring singer / front persons*, a body which in itself is comprised in the main of deluded fantasists, front people who can't sing and singers who can't front.

So chuck in the requirement to be vegan and they might have an even longer wait than usual. Or they might not. My indifference is unshakeable.

* Look at me, all sensitive like.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2