Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 MP40 Preamp

Daz39

35 minutes ago, krispn said:

Aren't most new pedals these days!

Well not to open a can of worms again, but accepting that sort of price as "normal" is screwing the collective!

As an example the YYZ is £215 at guitarguitar here in the UK today... Yet at prymax (USA) it's $155 at the minute. That's £116...

Somebody's lining their pockets nicely!!! Personally I'd never even consider buying a Tech21 product new. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Well not to open a can of worms again, but accepting that sort of price as "normal" is screwing the collective!

As an example the YYZ is £215 at guitarguitar here in the UK today... Yet at prymax (USA) it's $155 at the minute. That's £116...

Somebody's lining their pockets nicely!!! Personally I'd never even consider buying a Tech21 product new. 

£116 (no taxes on US list price) less prymax cut, plus shipping plus import duty plus distributor cut plus VAT. (I know I know, we do this every time.)

Just now, Daz39 said:

£116 (no taxes on US list price) less prymax cut, plus shipping plus import duty plus distributor cut plus VAT. (I know I know, we do this every time.)

Yes, but I wonder how close that gets to the UK price?

Just checked the price of the dug pedal too. The prymax price is the same as I paid for my used one recently. Boils my pi55... 

5 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Yes, but I wonder how close that gets to the UK price?

Just checked the price of the dug pedal too. The prymax price is the same as I paid for my used one recently. Boils my pi55... 

I dunno - I wonder how much European items cost in the US when you factor in the costs the other way?

2 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Darkglass Alpha Omega Photon is $519/£388 at prymax, £479 in UK... 

£479 less VAT is £399. The difference will be the variables in shipping and import duty and distributor cuts.

I suppose the true test of a rip-off is to find a UK-made pedal and compare what we pay here with no import/shipping costs.

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

Darkglass Alpha Omega Photon is $519/£388 at prymax, £479 in UK... 

Pretty much spot on really, remembering that US prices don't include tax.   Its US built pedals that we do really badly from.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever played a bad tech 21 product but I've already lost interest in this because of the price, even though we don't know the price yet. Crazy. 

I've often wondered what would happen if someone like Darkglass sold their pedals for £100 or so. Would the loss per item be offset by the increase in sales? No need to buy a clone... 

I just can't see a box with some capacitors in it as a luxury product. It's not like a watch or a car. 

34 minutes ago, Jack said:

I don't think I've ever played a bad tech 21 product but I've already lost interest in this because of the price, even though we don't know the price yet. Crazy. 

I've often wondered what would happen if someone like Darkglass sold their pedals for £100 or so. Would the loss per item be offset by the increase in sales? No need to buy a clone... 

I just can't see a box with some capacitors in it as a luxury product. It's not like a watch or a car. 

I agree - exclusivity and branding does mad things to a purchasing brain.

I am somewhat of a fan - I bought my first bass after hearing the Hold Your Fire album in 1995, I have Geddy's BBBoB, all of Neil's books, all of the music, some DVDs, some t-shirts (crikey, fanboy alert). So I am sorely tempted.

I was tempted by the YYZ but couldn't justify the cost. But this has an extra footswitch and button!! C'mon!!! ;) 

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

No XLR out seems an oversight, again. Also, “6dB of Schmegilka,” O.o. To be clear, I’m a huge Tech21 fan, have been since my first Trademark 60 guitar combo and have a VTDI on my board, but… hmm.

To this day, no one has explained the Hazarai function on EHX delay pedals to me, so I dunno - it's a button, it does something.

I've seen lots of arguments about the need for XLR outs, or cheating with an adaptor/cable. Dunno - surely it wouldn't cost much or take too much space.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Sadly we don't, and never will, live in a world where things don't cost more when they're from a presitge brand/made in the west/handmade e.t.c.  But how cheap do you think they can be?  Some Darkglass pedals sell for under £200, some for almost £500.  Do you want them all to be £100?  I don't actually think sales would be as different as you think, and certainly not enough to offset losses at that difference.

I mean there are several on this forum who would pay £3k or £4k on a Sadowsky that looks and sounds practically the same as an instrument costs £120 from Thomann...

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

Sadly we don't, and never will, live in a world where things don't cost more when they're from a presitge brand/made in the west/handmade e.t.c.  But how cheap do you think they can be?  Some Darkglass pedals sell for under £200, some for almost £500.  Do you want them all to be £100?  I don't actually think sales would be as different as you think, and certainly not enough to offset losses at that difference.

I mean there are several on this forum who would pay £3k or £4k on a Sadowsky that looks and sounds practically the same as an instrument costs £120 from Thomann...

But they don't though, do they? I'd argue there's a meaningful and appreciable difference between the two basses that even a layman could tell. Probably not so with the pedals. 

I have actually handed my wife both my Squier and Fender and asked her which was nicer, but I think she spotted the logo and everyone on the planet knows what a Fender is. Perhaps I should try with my MXR Sugar Drive and Tone City Bad Horse. 

Obviously Darkglass have done the math and set their price point accordingly, it seems to be working just fine. Meh, what do I know? 

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Could a small company like Darkglass actually be able to sell them for £100?

It's not like they are Boss who have now sold nearly 20 million pedals!

DG don't have access to those economies of scale.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Supernaut said:

What happened to the original Tech 21 VT Bass pedal (the non DI version)?

The VT Bass DI replaced the original character series VT Bass pedal.

Pricing outside the US is affected by the various taxes, distribution, and shipping of course.  The British made Revivaldrive Custom sells for £449 (VAT included) at Andertons . The same pedal sells for $675 at Prymaxe. Once you include the sales tax it retails for $719 (£536)  here in NJ.

There is no easy answer. The more hands that a product passes through combined with the escalating cost of shipping and value added taxes means higher prices. 

• Like 3