Why become a member? ×

Creators vs. band members

visog

Oh how Lockdown and YouTube is shaping music. I'm seeing some astounding artists create unbelievable performances... but they get 10 seconds of my attention before I click away. Whilst being a bass player, I'm not a fan of a single instrument for an extended period whatever it is, even piano. However in parallel I find myself putting on a Steve Wilson Yes remix and shutting my eyes to bliss out for 40 minutes or so. Do you all think that our hyper-skilled creators will go on to create great ensemble music when our pandemic becomes endemic?

• Like 2

No. I don't think so.

I'm much the same, where ensemble music captivates me but solo pieces tend to bore me to tears, especially on clanky instruments not entirely suitable to solo performances. People performing these solo pieces tend to have been doing it long before lockdown. It has never been easier to remotely collaborate. If you're not doing it now, being able to be in a room with someone won't change that.

• Like 3