Why become a member? ×

What's your 2021 gear balance?

BassAgent

I have just given my brother (the folky one) my first proper bass amp, a 150W Laney Pro-Bass head together with a 2x12 cab I made containing a pair of 80W Mackenzie PA speakers.

Along with a Phoenix/Celestion 2x12 these were my main gigging rig back in the 90s, and I last used them (for a single gig) in 2019.

Despite a massive emotional attachment, having acquired a two practice amps, two heads and three cabs this year (as well as other stuff picked up in the intervening quarter-century) it's good to make some space and see them go to someone who won't just enjoy them but has a good chance of gigging them as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

good to make some space and see them go to someone who won't just enjoy them but has a good chance of gigging them as well.

Cars are for driving, instruments for playing. And while it's nice to own some stuff as a collector, it's better to drive fast and play loud. 😎

On 21/12/2021 at 11:41, T-Bay said:

Out - quite a few including my Gibson Thunderbird

In - Fender Ultra Jazz and some new pedals

Any ultra jazz owners on here?

I got a player and it was fine but a bit meh output wise. The ultras look awesome but at nearly 2 grand itll more likely be a sire for me :(

11 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Any ultra jazz owners on here?

I got a player and it was fine but a bit meh output wise. The ultras look awesome but at nearly 2 grand itll more likely be a sire for me :(

I love mine, they aren’t cheap for sure but worth it (in my opinion anyway). It isn’t any one thing, they are just a collection of the right parts, with the right quality making a superb Jazz. The pre-amp adds an extra dimension as well. If you already have a player and the only issue is the output then why not look at a pickup change? I have a Squier Jazz that I use when we play certain pubs that are, shall we say, ‘less reputable’. I changed the pickups on it and it sounds very nice.

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I love mine, they aren’t cheap for sure but worth it (in my opinion anyway). It isn’t any one thing, they are just a collection of the right parts, with the right quality making a superb Jazz. The pre-amp adds an extra dimension as well. If you already have a player and the only issue is the output then why not look at a pickup change? I have a Squier Jazz that I use when we play certain pubs that are, shall we say, ‘less reputable’. I changed the pickups on it and it sounds very nice.

Good shout, yeah some SD quarter pounders maybe. I'm so used to the grunt out of my Ray34, I'm spoiled!!

The ultra does look lovely, as does the Flea active jazz (decisions :))