Why become a member? ×

Modding an Affinity....

Grassie

I have an old Trabant.  I'm thinking of putting a new engine in it, maybe some fuel injected thing.  New wheels.  I have interior from a BMW that'll fit.  Might reshape the roof as it doesn't look like a Porsche.  Not happy with the brown colour either, so I'll paint it as well.  Might put a Ferrari decal on it, too.

Money well spent.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Grassie said:

The paint job and re-shape will have to be done professionally, as I don't have the tools/room to do it. The body and neck are all good and straight, although I won't know if the body is a 1/2/3 piece job until I strip it.

At this point I would not bother. It’s going to cost a fortune and you will never be as happy as just getting a decent bass to start with. 

Just now, Doctor J said:

Calculate how much the new parts will cost. Sell the Affinity as is. Combine the money and spend it all on a bass which is the bass you actually want.

This. Or if you want to spend a small fortune on a dream bass that you put together yourself head over to the Warmoth website.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I have an old Trabant.  I'm thinking of putting a new engine in it, maybe some fuel injected thing.  New wheels.  I have interior from a BMW that'll fit.  Might reshape the roof as it doesn't look like a Porsche.  Not happy with the brown colour either, so I'll paint it as well.  Might put a Ferrari decal on it, too.

Money well spent.

Guy Martin has beaten you to that...

Edited by yorks5stringer

There's 2 ways of looking at your plans:

1: You really love how the bass plays, but you want to improve the sound and performance, and most importantly!..... you're going to KEEP it post modern.

2: You're clutching at straws as it's not quite what you want, and you might move it on anyway. 

Take it from someone who has thrown a fortune at modding basses over the years, and STILL moved them all on.....

If it's A, do it, but honestly don't spend a lot, don't end up in negative equity, and be sure you want to keep the bass OR be sure you can get your money back if you sell.

If it's B..... big fat no.

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Money well spent.

Don't forget the Lamborghini doors

Edited by SteveXFR

Rather than paying for a strip and professional paint job, why not get one of these?

I've done a few Precisions using Northwest bodies and the finishes are superb, alder body and painted for £175.

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/jazz-bass-bodies/

Edited by thebrig
To add link
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Rather than paying for a strip and professional paint job, why not get one of these?

I've done a few Precisions using Northwest bodies and the finishes are superb, alder body and painted for £175.

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/jazz-bass-bodies/

But they don't do one in candy orange.... :D

10 minutes ago, Grassie said:

Thanks for all the comments, I am still going to mod it, but have scaled down my plans somewhat. Now looking at some passive pups (either Wilkinson or Toneriders) and a Ki0gon loom. I might still strip the paint off.... :)

Toneriders 👍🏻

6 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Before you start check the neck is ok. My only experience of an Affinity was a friend’s, he brought to me with a ski jump neck needing help. Totally failed with it, the truss rod was broken. 👎 Seriously not impressed by that range.

One experience and you extrapolate that out to cover thousands of instruments?  You're entitled to your opinion but this one seems statistically unsound to me.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2021 at 13:13, Grassie said:

Thanks for all the comments, I am still going to mod it, but have scaled down my plans somewhat. Now looking at some passive pups (either Wilkinson or Toneriders) and a Ki0gon loom. I might still strip the paint off.... :)

Unless you plan to refinish it, once stripped you may find it is not the most beautiful piece of wood and by then you are stuck with it....

On 23/12/2021 at 20:47, Grahambythesea said:

Before you start check the neck is ok. My only experience of an Affinity was a friend’s, he brought to me with a ski jump neck needing help. Totally failed with it, the truss rod was broken. 👎 Seriously not impressed by that range.

Mine is fine. :)