Why become a member? ×

Birmingham beginner

Chazzy

Only ever played vinyl (that gives away my age a bit - soul funk reggae jazz) and was feeling left out of my musical family, as well as needing a challenge having turned 50 so bought a squier jazz bass at the same time as we got our son his own acoustic guitar as an upgrade from the school loaner. 

This was back in May and been using fender play to learn basics.

Thoroughly enjoying it but getting a bit stuck between too easy (shortened and simplified)  or too fast. So have been dipping into donstrumental and ebassguitar as well as some of Dan Hawkins fee stuff. 

While this is really just for me rather than any performance aspirations im morecexcited than i expected to be asked to support the school swing band play watermelon man in the spring (assuming we get there)

I can see me building a BASSCHAT speaker cabibet at sone point purely as a project...

Well that was longer than i was intending. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Chazzy said:

I can see me building a BASSCHAT speaker cabibet at sone point purely as a project

There’s the slippery slope, before you know it you’ll have 5 basses, pedals by the bucket load and a stack of cabs capable of playing live aid. 
welcome and enjoy the ride 

• Haha 1

Hi Chazzy, we have a lot in common, I recently started playing (February), am more 'mature' than you 👴!  I also decided to build my first ever cabinet using a guide from here and support of members instead of buying one ( I did the lockdown build 10"one) 

Only tip I would give you is don't wait too long to find a teacher, I learnt for the first 7 months on my own from video courses online and have got into some bad habits out of ignorance.

Stay funky bro!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

Lots of Brummies, Silhilllians, and Midlanders on this forum. There isn't a "find a basschatter by postcode"  search (thank goodness), but we're about.

Try to get to the next Midlands Bass Bash if you can (see the Events forum).

And enjoy yourself,  I started aged 50-ish too. 😎

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips. A real life tutor is definitely a route forward and the GAS may have to do with a gig bag.

I was really close to going to the last Midlands bass bash but I barely knew the order of the strings and didn't want to be too newbie!