Why become a member? ×

Low end on 2x10 cab

Friskydingo

Thinking about getting a 2x10 cab for size/functionality for bedroom and live setting. (something like barefaced or hartke) 

Can they produce enough low end or do they become farty/distorted easier then say a 4x10 or 1x15.

I mainly play rock/punk so won't need extreme amounts of low frequencies. 

Or would it be worth changing out speakers? 

43 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

You should be fine for the amount of lows required, though a single 210 for live rock/punk may be a tad ambitious, for that type of music (which is what I do) I’d be looking at either a pair of 210s or a single 212. 

You say I should be fine, then say its a tad ambitious. Confusing me, explain a little more? 

I's agree with Lozz, 2 210's would be ideal. Then you can use 1 or 2 depending on the situation.

I haven't seen the Hartke cabs in use but my Barefaced Two10 was as loud as some 410's I've heard. I'd suggest starting with a Two10 and look out for a second in the classifieds.

7 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I's agree with Lozz, 2 210's would be ideal. Then you can use 1 or 2 depending on the situation.

I haven't seen the Hartke cabs in use but my Barefaced Two10 was as loud as some 410's I've heard. I'd suggest starting with a Two10 and look out for a second in the classifieds.

So one 2x10 bf would be enough if it's that loud? 

Not all 2 x10's are made the same. There's loads of useful stuff on here regarding cabinet design and more importantly cabinet tuning. A modern, well-engineered, boutique 2x10 liked the Barefaced will blow an old school 'stick 4 10's in a box" "designs" out of the water. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

You say I should be fine, then say its a tad ambitious. Confusing me, explain a little more? 

The amount of bass/low end on most 210s nowadays should be more than sufficient for rock & punk, but whether a single 210 could cope in a live environment is another question. Although it might well get loud enough, up against drums & guitars the depth of sound may not be enough, giving the impression that the cab doesn’t have enough lows. The temptation could then be to push the cab beyond its limits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

So one 2x10 bf would be enough if it's that loud? 

It's so difficult to quantify "loud". Lozz plays Punk so I'd go with his definition of "loud".

My "loud" always required 2 210's or 2 112's and at one point 3 112's.

My rule of thumb, I'd expect 1 BF cab to cover 2 cabs from another manufacturer.

• Thanks 1

I have same cabs as Lozz and I play loud rock using two Ashdown ABM 210 Neo lightweight cabs ( sealed )

One on its own would be buried by a loud drummer as they are small so most of the sound isn’t reaching your ears .. stack two together and the sound is huge 

However I miss big 15” ported cabs and changing over and selling my Ashdown cabs. They are superb low cost cabs and weigh 14kg each !

All depends on music you play, band instruments you compete with and final band sound.

Ive never played BF cabs but I’m sure they are superb but so is the price and I tend to move gear on so would never pay that price for a cab. 

17 hours ago, chris_b said:

My rule of thumb, I'd expect 1 BF cab to cover 2 cabs from another manufacturer.

I think this is true if you compare Barefaced with older cabinets. However there are  number of cabinets that woukd be as loud as Barefaced using high quality modern drivers.

• Like 1

It also depends whether you like the sound of Barefaced cabs too. Yes they are light and efficient but the sound is not to everyone’s taste - I really didn’t like the sound at all, and they aren’t cheap, so I’d investigate a few other brands too. 

Yesterday’s gig involved a very small stage and I had to settle for using one Markbass Standard 102HF - it’s a fairly large 2x10 cab with a front bass port, rated 400w at 8ohms.

I was really pushing it and it was just about putting out enough for a pretty loud rock covers band. I’ve gigged with a pair of them and the sound is massive and far better. 

Ample low end either way tho. 

6 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

It also depends whether you like the sound of Barefaced cabs too. Yes they are light and efficient but the sound is not to everyone’s taste - I really didn’t like the sound at all, and they aren’t cheap, so I’d investigate a few other brands too. 

Yesterday’s gig involved a very small stage and I had to settle for using one Markbass Standard 102HF - it’s a fairly large 2x10 cab with a front bass port, rated 400w at 8ohms.

I was really pushing it and it was just about putting out enough for a pretty loud rock covers band. I’ve gigged with a pair of them and the sound is massive and far better. 

Ample low end either way tho. 

It depends on the BF cab, the 12” series are very HiFi sounding , clear, accurate and powerful. The 10” series are more old school sounding 

I had an Orange 2x10 for a number of years and did some punk shows on it. I now have the same cab but 2x12 for pub / small club shows. I appreciate that some will say you need to have this, that and the other for certain things but at the risk of making all bass forums redundant, ultimately you can play most styles on most kit. Worst case scenario you wind up adding a second cab or looking at pedals but generally I always got favourable comments from the small rig. Kit has come a LONG way in recent years but people are still using the same arguments from decades ago. 

5 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I had an Orange 2x10 for a number of years and did some punk shows on it. I now have the same cab but 2x12 for pub / small club shows. I appreciate that some will say you need to have this, that and the other for certain things but at the risk of making all bass forums redundant, ultimately you can play most styles on most kit. Worst case scenario you wind up adding a second cab or looking at pedals but generally I always got favourable comments from the small rig. Kit has come a LONG way in recent years but people are still using the same arguments from decades ago. 

I remember that set up Tim, sounded great

• Thanks 1