Why become a member? ×

Envelope Filter/Auto Wah

oldslapper

Only had one pedal in all my days playing bass. A BBE Optical Comp, lovely pedal. But have compression on my amp.

But 12 months into a jazz/fusion project, I’m admitting that a bit o’envelope/wah would fit nicely.

So I’m not looking to invest in anything boutique, at least not at first. And not wanting a multi fx box either.

Thinking (as an inexpensive intro to the pedal rabbit hole) along the lines of: 

Ashdown Filter

Malekko E.FILTER (

EHX nano baseballs

I'm using a 5 string ray through Ashdown Neo 2x10 combo for reference.

Any experience of the above peeps?  Comparisons? 

Thanks, John 

I have never found an Ashdown envelope I could use. And the Bassballs is a very acquired taste - even its biggest fans admit it can work on one bass and not another.

Dont know the Malekko so I'll refrain.

If I had to recommend one, guaranteed to work whatever the bass, and whatever sound you seek it would be the MXR Bass Envelope Filter. Utterly reliable, easy to dial in.

• Like 3

I've used several envelope followers over the years.. 1st was a doctor Q by Electro Harmonix ..(pre nano) Then a Dod 25B (I believe it was used by Flea on sir Psycho sexy) then a  bottomfeeder..(which was a boutique clone)  Mooer envelope & Mooer sweeper.. Sweeper has a character of it's own!.. envelope is generic but usable... 

I now have the EBS IQ 3 knob new version.. which is very versatile & works for me... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

Looking at the Carl Martin opto envelope filter and the Eden too.

Blimey there’s a lot of choice. Pedals are a rabbit hole you could disappear down for a loooong time 🐰🤪😳

And spend an awful lot of money too....

• Haha 1

The nano bass balls has just one sound and it's.... Ok. If that's what you want. 

The best bargain autowah I know of is the EHX Mini Q Tron. I think you could get one secondhand for about sixty quid and they're really flexible, subtle to ridiculous and loads in between, great for guitar or bass. If an actual wah pedal is your thing I'd recommend the AMT bass wah or the Jim Dunlop cry baby bass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

@E sharp is selling one, hence the reference. I’d not heard of them before either. 

As the effect will be used in an originals setting, I have no “sound” to chase. 

I have that Malleko filter that E sharp was selling, he hasn't updated his Ad.

It's based on a DOD 440 so its a Band pass filter, which appears to let a nice amount of your clean signal through. The sound is very subtle and polite (Not loads of resonance) but that works well in some situations as your note definition us very strong. It has two controls, but they can give a surprising amount of variation. It has no sensitivity control, but seems to be tuned fairly high, so there's no triggering issues, although some basses can be used with a softer touch than others. It is very well made and looks brilliant. All in all a nice filter and for jazzy stuff, isn't too in your face.

The bassballs is a very unique and vocal sounding filter, doesn't really sound like a traditional filter at all,so I'm not sure it'll work for you. It's a great sound,particularly with an Octave in front of it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Looking at the Carl Martin opto envelope filter and the Eden too.

Blimey there’s a lot of choice. Pedals are a rabbit hole you could disappear down for a loooong time 🐰🤪😳

Never tried the Carl Martin, but don’t waste your money on the Eden. I’ve tried a lot and it’s amongst the most useless!

• Thanks 1

The EHX Bassballs is cool but it's a pretty unique sounding filter and does what it does. It's not the most versatile filter. I'd be more inclined to look at one of the Q Trons instead.

I haven't tried the big Ashdown filter, but I've got their Dr Green Doctors Note. As a standalone filter it's ok, but it really comes alive if you stack it behind an OC2. 

Personally, my favourites are the Emma Discumbobulator for an up sweep, and the Seamoon Funk Machine for a downsweep.

I really like the old DOD FX25 too. You can sometimes find them pretty cheaply, especially the FX25B, although I think the older FX25 (without the B) is a better sounding pedal.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I’ve just seen a video demo of the digitech bass synth wah pedal. 
That looks very interesting and I can see me using it in the trio definitely. 

Thoughts/experience anyone? 

I have 3 of them. Superb pedals.

As a straight filter the MXR and the more expensive Source Audio Spectrum are probably better, but the Digitech can do many things those other 2 cannot. It will do a very good filter, some fantastic synth tones (Deeper Underground etc), and octave effect if you set the controls right etc.

It's one of the most fun pedals I've ever had.

• Thanks 1

I bought 3 envelope filter pedals recently; the Seamoon Funk Machine is maybe a bit niche but the Solid Gold FX Supa Funk and the Mr Black Fwonkbeta are worth considering. I've reviewed them here on BC including some sound clips.

The Supa Funk emphasises the 'vowel' type sounds and has some classic funk settings, the Fwonkbeta is massively thick and juicy but maybe not as versatile. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldslapper said:

I’ve just seen a video demo of the digitech bass synth wah pedal. 
That looks very interesting and I can see me using it in the trio definitely. 

Thoughts/experience anyone? 

Its one that if you buy second hand you won't lose your money selling on if you don't like it. I personally didn't get on with it but I know others love it. Trial and error is the way with these things.

• Like 1