Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bits Of Gear...

binky_bass

8 hours ago, Maude said:

And yet you drive a Jaguar 😉

I'm only kidding, it's a beast of a car. 😎👍

They bought the whole company, not just a name. 

I can't remember which brand it was but Behringer bought the rights to the name of a new start up company who had some great pedals but hadn't yet registered their name and then sued the original company for using their own name. That's not good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I can't remember which brand it was but Behringer bought the rights to the name of a new start up company who had some great pedals but hadn't yet registered their name and then sued the original company for using their own name. That's not good.

Is Clapton a member of the board ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I drive a Ford era Jag so I really was jesting. 

And no that's not good practice by Behringer. 

Although I do really like their XM8500 microphones, our soundman prefers them to the Shure SM58 that they copied. 

• Like 1

I bought one of these from Thomann, a couple of years back:

378766.jpg.67fe433a0f87e84002201ebbc7413383.jpg

Pop your combo on this and hey presto! - it's off the floor, and the noise it makes is closer to your ears, so you can actually hear it, without having to crank the volume up to Lemmyesque levels. It's perfect for those gigs where it's impractical to bring another cab to stick underneath your amp and has made a huge difference to my onstage volume.

Because I'm a classy chap, I bought a couple of metres of cheap black fabric to cover the legs as although the unit is incredibly sturdy (the spec says it'll cope with 136 kg and I don't doubt that for a moment), it does look a little like you're balancing your priceless Mesa Boogie combo on your moms old coffee table, otherwise. 

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think generally just everything has gotten so much better these days. Growing up in an era of rubbish budget instruments and cheap practice amps, I am constantly amazed by how good most entry level stuff is these days. Maybe we understand a good setup better these days but I think it's hard to buy out and out rubbish now. Apps have been mentioned but you look at the online lessons and availability of tabs (okay, I'm sure someone will point out they are often wrong) but generally it's all a lot easier now. And making music should be accessible. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Maude said:

I drive a Ford era Jag so I really was jesting. 

Although I do really like their XM8500 microphones, our soundman prefers them to the Shure SM58 that they copied. 

Hmmm...sim taste in cars (when did the Ford era end?) and Yamaha BBs. And have both ended up as bass players. Lol. 

Really useful tip about the XM8500 - singer is on the look out for a mic and was thinking about getting the "industry standard" SM58. May have just saved her a few quid - Happy Xmas mate!

£13 on Amazon Prime. Just ordered one for myself! :)

Edited by Al Krow

Tune Bass Maniac, I tried one in a shop in '87 but I only had 5 minutes with it because my train was leaving soon. It looked a bit of an odd bird but I was impressed with it with the little time I had playing it, I think it was going for £699 at the time.

I bought one that came up locally last year, a PJ. The weight, the 'D' profile neck, the balance, all stands up today. Probably the easiest playing bass I've ever owned.

13 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Used Yamaha BB series basses go for peanuts.

Paul McCartney’s tour and studio-played Yamaha BB-1200 “Wings” bass sold for a whopping $496,100 to become the most expensive bass to ever be sold at auction.

And…gotta say…the bass tone he got from it is killer!

Of course this was more about the owner than the bass but I sold my BB1200 for £1200 recently 

Cables, cables, cables... long ones, short ones, curly ones, that odd little one your mate made up for your pedal board that means everything works, the cheap USB cable that will always fail... 

Then connectors, why wouldn't you use locking connectors for a live show whenever you can? Just don't understand it.

Also, the Furman power distro/conditioner range, or something similar, the single most useful and effective unit in any small studio.

Edited by WinterMute
typo

The RedSub BT5110 500W combo amp (and by extension the Harley Benton badged equivalent).

In March I will have had mine for 10 years and the only trouble I've ever had with it was a failed headphone socket which I replaced myself. Just last night it survived another night of neglectful abuse - left it in the car boot for two days then brought it out into a warm and not particularly well ventilated venue with condensation coming down the walls and my amp looking like the cover of Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet".  Oops! With only around an hour to acclimatise it not only didn't go bang, it helped me play a blinder of a gig with not much room (had to Bill Wyman it a few times - why do I always end up on the route to the bog?)

This little amp continues to surprise and delight me and I feel lucky to have it. People may scoff at it, the RedSub badge and its chunky and boxy appearance but it has only cost me around £35 a year to own when you divide its purchase price by its age and it has consistently punched well above what anyone could have realistically hoped to achieve with it.

I will be very sad if it dies. Maybe I should stop being lazy/forgetful and get it out of the back of the car then!

Estrella Gig Bags... 

I have no idea if they're still trading, but as I heard it was a guy that worked for Reunion Blues that went off on his own. I have had my 'Estrella double gig bag for bass' for maybe 10 years and it is still in immaculate condition AND it can withstand carrying Binky and my 8 string Conklin together which is mightily impressive! I think I got it with a bass I bought from @nobodysprefect

Never had a gig bag as good and doubt I ever will...

5 hours ago, Maude said:

Having had both the SM58 and the XM8500 I agree, think the Behringer sounds better, and is much easier on the pocket as well.

• Like 1