Why become a member? ×

“Apart from the drums, the bass is the instrument you need to play the longest to become truly funky”

TheGreek

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2021 at 22:32, steantval said:

I think this guy would disagree with that statement.

I have had to play a few funky bass numbers during my function band days, and would say that even if the bass player and drummer have it down, if the guitarist doesn't do the right things and leave the holes you've created and have that same feel for the grove, just strumming chords in time doesn't help make the piece work and feel right. In fact puts you off what you have learnt.

On 28/12/2021 at 16:37, mikel said:

Nah. If you have a good inbuilt sense of rhythm and can lock in with a drummer you can funk it with the best.

That ain't necessarily so! No matter what technical level a player is at, if they can't feel the funk they'll be fakin' it.

And as George said, "if you fake The Funk, your nose gotta grow!"

In other words,in order to properly play The Funk you've got to know and love it; The Funk not only moves, it can Re-move, ya dig?

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

That ain't necessarily so! No matter what technical level a player is at, if they can't feel the funk they'll be fakin' it.

And as George said, "if you fake The Funk, your nose gotta grow!"

In other words,in order to properly play The Funk you've got to know and love it; The Funk not only moves, it can Re-move, ya dig?

That's why I didn't mention technique. Locking in with other musicians is all about feel, not technique.