Why become a member? ×

Where to start with dub?

SteveXFR

I've been listening to some dub recently and really enjoying it but I have a feeling its not really typical dub. I've enjoyed In Dub by Youth of Killing Joke and Dub Side Of The Moon by Easy Star All Stars.

Any recommendations for good listening and something good to play, nothing too complicated!

• Like 1

There’s about 95 pages below Steve to have a listen through 👍, the Roots Radics have some really nice Basslines by Flabba Holt , and there’s a few full albums on YT.

I’d also recommend watching Don chandler’s videos , I think you might like them, he’s a great player and you can download the backing tracks, (or I’ll send you them) and you can play over them, I’ve also got the tab, check out this one and let me know if it’s the sort of thing your looking for, if not I’ll find something else 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anything by Scientist, especially:

Heavyweight Dub Champion (1980)

Big Showdown at King Tubby's (1980) – with Prince Jammy

Scientist Meets the Space Invaders (1981)

Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires (1981)

• Like 7

Here’s an interesting article on the history of dub: -

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/dub-music-guide

Keith Hudson gets a mention and he’s one of first dub artists I came across. His Pick A Dub and Brand albums are worth a listen. Lots of old school tape echo and spring reverb in evidence. 

• Like 2

I also have "Dubber side of the Moon" by ESAS - the remix of the first dub album. 

If you're a fan of Aswad don't forget "A New Chapter in Dub". Lots of recommendations above for Scientist, Chemist and The Mad Professor...pretty much your starting point I would say.

• Like 3

Not so much dub ,but a nice reggae Bassline to play that’s not too difficult is this, its one of my old time favourites, it’s more about getting the feel and you can play just behind the beat on this , cut the treble and turn up the bass 🙂

I know you like your metal and punk, and I’m not sure if it’s something you would like, but years ago I remember the Clash did a sort of reggae album 

• Like 2

I'd perhaps start by listening to some of  the big dub producers: King Tubby, Lee Scratch Perry, Scientist, Joe Gibbs, Mad Professor, King Jammy, Augustus Pablo, Keith Hudson, Adrian Sherwood....they've each got their own style so if you find some you prefer then follow that rabbit hole. 

Or if you already have some favorite Reggae artists then look for dub versions of the albums (e.g. Aswad, a new chapter of dub. 

Gregory Isaacs, slum in dub. 

Horace Andy, in the light dub. Black uhuru, the dub factor). 

• Like 4