Why become a member? ×

God can forgive, but Clapton can't

Steve Browning

Apart from a few cream numbers and they were more for the bass and percussion I’ve always thought Clapton was way overrated I don’t think I own any of his material genuine or god forbid bootleg 

I am fairly sure though that Eric doesn’t scour the internet looking for bootlegs, someone in the management team has pushed this through and of course Eric gets the blame 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Marvin said:

I see Robert Cray has cut any ties or links with Clapton after Clapton likened lockdowns etc with slavery.

For someone who made a fortune from ripping off black American music, Clapton has an unenviable propensity of looking like he's either thick, nasty, a racist or all 3.

I don’t know much (make that anything really) about Robert Cray but I’ve just read his interview about this and it appears his head his firmly screwed on in the right place.

Think Clapton seems to have decided the 2020s are where he will behave like an utter fool over a great many areas.

Just for a bit of positivity. I occasionally bump in to another legendary guitarist at a local dog walking (not dogging) spot and he's a thoroughly nice bloke. Alway gives a cheery greeting and strokes my lurcher (not a euphemism). Considering he probably has hundreds of millions in the bank, he drives a beat up old banger and dresses like a tramp.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Marvin said:

I've not read his biography,  I did, however,  watch the documentary about him shown on BBC4 (?) a while back. His birth mum seemed thoroughly unpleasant and his almost non-existent relationship with her seemed to account for some of his own unpleasantness.  He even admitted to not being nice, but then used drug and alcohol abuse to hide behind. You'd hope that someone who knew they'd be an awful person would change their ways...in Clapton's case it seems not.

A key ingredient in 12-Step recovery from alcohol & drugs is forgiving those that wronged you. Or you can buy into $$$ sucking treatment center (Crossroads Antigua) that will stroke your EGO as long as you contribute. 

EGO stands for Easing God Out.

I did like some of the Cream stuff but that was 3 on-fire musicians butting heads musically. Always a catalyst.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed, but maybe that's exactly what occurred and she chose to ignore? I'd be surprised if the thing went straight to Court. 

What I don't understand is why she appealed the initial ruling? Guessing a local lawyer smelling a potential fat pay cheque and publicity, rather than giving their client sensible advice?

Even if team Clapton did file straight to the lady's local court for damages she still could have written to thc court saying she destroyed the CD and considered the matter closed. I doubt there would have been any costs awarded. Fruit cakes on both sides if you ask me but she's the appellant in the second case so she's got nuts on hers.

• Like 2

He made a fairly decent  ( by his standards ) solo album way back  ( 461 Ocean Boulevard  )  which i bought many decadaes ago,  but i cant stand Cream or anything he's done

My  now ex  GF bought us tickets back in 1994 to see Sheryl Crow at Shep's Bush  ( not a euphemism, ) who was bluddy amazing by the way , and as a surprise for a couple of tracks, she wheeled on the old fart, who actually spoiled the show

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Even if team Clapton did file straight to the lady's local court for damages she still could have written to thc court saying she destroyed the CD and considered the matter closed. I doubt there would have been any costs awarded. Fruit cakes on both sides if you ask me but she's the appellant in the second case so she's got nuts on hers.

Agreed.

I doubt very much team C would have gone straight to Court - I mean what damages could they have realistically won from someone selling a CD? Court costs would have far outstripped and they would have been aware of the bad publicity. But they wanted to protect their IP. 

More likely scenario: team C contacts her to withdraw the CD. She ignores their polite request and goes ahead anyway. At which point they up the ante.

She loses, but local lawyers whiff fat pay day from a celebrity plus media interviews and decide to challenge the Court ruling.

Haters, enjoying their echo chamber, jump on band wagon around the planet.

Sound plausible?

• Like 6

I used to think that he was a bit of a one trick pony / overrated, but a lot of my very good guitarist mates think of him as a big influence, so I’ve had to revaluate.

I can kind of forgive him for his 70s racist ramblings, given his personal issues at the time and that he seems quite contrite (not to mention that he has worked with and seems very friendly with many black musicians), but all this anti-vax nonsense is just another step too far. My father-in-law (who’s a fan and was amazed that I wasn’t) gave me his autobiography to read. He comes across as someone you pity even though he has millions in the bank, not too bright and just not very pleasant, a guy who you would avoid in the pub.

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed.

I doubt very much team C would have gone straight to Court - I mean what damages could they have realistically won from someone selling a CD? Court costs would have far outstripped and they would have been aware of the bad publicity. But they wanted to protect their IP. 

More likely scenario: team C contacts her to withdraw the CD. She ignores their polite request and goes ahead anyway. At which point they up the ante.

She loses, but local lawyers whiff fat pay day from a celebrity plus media interviews and decide to challenge the Court ruling.

Sound plausible?

Not really mate. He could easily say that its not worth going after this one. 

I'm guessing that at some point he would have been consulted and that he hasn't got the self awareness to realise how badly this would play out in the press / on social media. 

Edited by peteb

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed.

Sound plausible?

Good summary and certainly sounds plausible. I couldn't care one way or the other about EC, but I don't see anything terrible in what is ascribed to him here. I'd be surprised if he even knew his lawyers/management/record company approached the woman, certainly initially. He won't be wasting his life scouring the 'net for every possible copyright infringement. He pays people to do that for him. Had she said fair enough and withdrawn the CD, I'm sure that would have been the end of it. However, it seems she (or, as Al points out, lawyers acting on her behalf) decided to pick a fight. More fool them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed.

Sound plausible?

Only if the German legal system is that way inclined, which doesn't feel very likely to me.

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

I see Robert Cray has cut any ties or links with Clapton after Clapton likened lockdowns etc with slavery.

For someone who made a fortune from ripping off black American music, Clapton has an unenviable propensity of looking like he's either thick, nasty, a racist or all 3.

It was his racism that lead to the formation of Rock against racism back in the 1970s. 

• Like 1