Why become a member? ×

Gig Cancelled

yorks5stringer

I drove 35 miles to our gig on Friday evening (having phoned the venue to confirm it was still on), to arrive and have the manager tell us he'd literally just had 2 large bookings cancel on him and there were 3 people in the bar when he'd have expected 30 at that point in the evening!  We were given money to cover fuel, which was a token payment when you consider the 70 mile round trip on country lanes, which meant I got home at 21:15!  

• Sad 1

My main band lost 10 gigs in October and November due to illness. I got offered some gigs in December playing at a hotel and took them to partly offset my loss of income, and am crossing everything that I get to do at least some of them! Would normally leave my gear at venues like this but will be taking it home every night now in case of any lockdowns. Hoping I’ll be able to do the 23rd, 24th and Boxing Day as a worst case scenario, with the loss of NYE being the biggest financial hit. ☹️

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I drove 35 miles to our gig on Friday evening (having phoned the venue to confirm it was still on), to arrive and have the manager tell us he'd literally just had 2 large bookings cancel on him and there were 3 people in the bar when he'd have expected 30 at that point in the evening!  We were given money to cover fuel, which was a token payment when you consider the 70 mile round trip on country lanes, which meant I got home at 21:15!  

Could be worse if you had done the gig and gotten a case of covid. At least you got a nice country lane drive in with the fuel paid.

Back in the day I hitchhiked on England's country lanes. What a variety of folks I met. No whizzed of bass players though.