Why become a member? ×

Gig Cancelled

yorks5stringer

Our guitarist decided not to attend a Boxing night jam a while back because his wife is still suffering serious complications from sepsis after catching flu 2 years ago.

I'm still planning on going but no rehearsals and think it's going to be pretty likely to catch it there if anyone's going to catch it. 

Aren't we supposed to be at 1m cases a day by then anyway? I'll probably already be isolating. 

1 hour ago, gjones said:

If the gig isn't cancelled, I suspect that the pub will be empty, with just die hard alcoholics and anti vaxxers in attendance.

That's what I'm afraid of. It's a sweeping generalisation, but the people that are likely to be there are likely the sort the people who don't give a toss about covid. aka superspreaders.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

As Chris Witty said a few days ago, it's too early to say anything like that.

Even if it may not be life threatening it can be life changing. My oldest friend has long covid, my work mate has long covid, a family friend in her mid 30s has post covid complications (she's struggling to walk now), friend a few doors down from me gets pain in his joints regularly,  wife's work friend has serious post covid fatigue (someone who was very active and fit and ran marathons), and my wife has post covid arthritis. Our GP says it's either a post covid infection or covid has 'caused arthritis. 

I don't know or have a large group of friends but I seem to know an increasing number of people hit hard by this.

I am not disputing the effects it can have, just suggesting the cr@p that some authorities/experts are spouting causes fear. 

We all make our own decisions. I, as a twice jabbed and boosted pensioner, am going to behave sensibly but take my chances. 

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gjones said:

If the gig isn't cancelled, I suspect that the pub will be empty, with just die hard alcoholics and anti vaxxers in attendance.

I'm meeting a friend in a pub tonight, which I expect (hope) will be empty too.

6 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

That's what I'm afraid of. It's a sweeping generalisation, but the people that are likely to be there are likely the sort the people who don't give a toss about covid. aka superspreaders.

I've been double jabbed and will be going out.

The advice is to do a lateral flow test and pick events that are more important to you.

Live music is near the top of the tree for me along with running races. 

I'll be at home off work for 11 days anyway. Not everyone has loads of elderly relatives and big family dinners. 

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

am not disputing the effects it can have, just suggesting the cr@p that some authorities/experts are spouting causes fear. 

We all make our own decisions. I, as a twice jabbed and boosted pensioner, am going to behave sensibly but take my chances. 

Experts talking cr@p.... Where to start with that. I won't bother. Lucky all this covid stuff is just a hoax isn't it?

And you taking your own chances is fine but you're actually risking other people's health too, is that fine? Just because you're not bothered? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TimR said:

I've been double jabbed and will be going out.

The advice is to do a lateral flow test and pick events that are more important to you.

Live music is near the top of the tree for me along with running races. 

I'll be at home off work for 11 days anyway. Not everyone has loads of elderly relatives and big family dinners. 

Yes. I'm double jabbed and will be testing everyday before and after the gig. Got booster on Monday. 

Playing live music is important to me as well, and I don't want to let anyone down. However, we can't trust that other people will be following the official advice and do the right thing, no matter how vague or clear it is.

Trouble is, the wife and I are supposed to be going to stay at my sister-in-laws for a week over Christmas. I'm now getting grief from her about doing this gig.  All I can do is keep testing and isolate between the gig and when we go away. 

The two singers are of the mind that they want to do it and they'll wear a mask in-between performances.  I'm not sure if the realise the mask is to protect other people - it's not a suit of armour!

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Experts talking cr@p.... Where to start with that. I won't bother. Lucky all this covid stuff is just a hoax isn't it?

And you taking your own chances is fine but you're actually risking other people's health too, is that fine? Just because you're not bothered? 

Tell me where I said it’s a hoax? Two of my children have had it!

if you do a LFT before meeting people you are not risking their health.

If you want to live in fear, that’s your choice. Please don’t label me as ‘not bothered’.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

But you don't know if everybody else in the pub has done the same. I've had covid, my wife had it quite bad. We've been jabbed but it doesn't stop us catching it again if somebody else hasn't taken the correct precautions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

Tell me where I said it’s a hoax? Two of my children have had it!

If you want to live in fear, that’s your choice. Please don’t label me as ‘not bothered’.

Fair comment, apologies 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

I am not disputing the effects it can have, just suggesting the cr@p that some authorities/experts are spouting causes fear. 

Oh dear. 

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s bad news Steve, and more than a bit short-sighted of the band imo.

It was a combination of that and my refusal to buy a 2kW PA at two weeks notice. I quite unreasonably wanted to wait until after pay day which was a whole 4 weeks during which time we had a grand total of zero gigs. I know, it's a total lack of commitment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Seems we have similar in common Steve, I was once sacked from a band because I wouldn’t cough up 6 grand to help build a rehearsal studio. We’re obviously unreliable & flaky.

Standard bassist behaviour. 

Once the guitarist/singer decided I needed an active PA sub to set up a dual amp rig I should have been straight on the Andertons online store to get it all the next day. I completely unreasonably thought my mortgage should be paid first. Im an absolute c.....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've just been booted out of a band because I can't do the 3 gigs a week they think they'll be doing from February. 

I don't think they'll be playing three gigs a week. Especially without a bassist. 

My band are out again tonight with another guitarist depping for me. This one hasn't even met them before never mind rehearsing with them.

Now I have a clearer picture of how important the bass is to them , it's fair to say their regular bass player will be displaying a markedly more relaxed attitude once he returns. 

• Like 3

Just now, stewblack said:

My band are out again tonight with another guitarist depping for me. This one hasn't even met them before never mind rehearsing with them.

Now I have a clearer picture of how important the bass is to them , it's fair to say their regular bass player will be displaying a markedly more relaxed attitude once he returns. 

To be fair, I've done this more than a few times.  The band were always just pleased to have a 'bass player' as opposed to the 2nd guitar player moving to bass.  :)  

On the flip side, we (a 3 piece) probably do 50% of our gigs with a dep drummer!  

We’ve gigged almost non stop since everything reopened including two a weekend since mid November and the inevitable has happened. Friday nights gig was possibly the worst ever mad Friday in a popular pub just outside Wigan full of absolute idiots; if I could have packed up and gone home I would’ve, anyway the upshot is 3 out of the 4 of us tested positive on Sunday, we are pretty sure it was Friday as there are quite a few people we know who were there who have tested positive before us. 

Guess with itch the amount of gigs we’ve been doing it was always going to happen at some point

we’ve had to cancel Christmas Eve and we have bookings for the 30th and New Year’s Eve however I’d be amazed if they go ahead even though we should be out of isolation by then