Why become a member? ×

Gig Cancelled

yorks5stringer

Just spent  a lot of time today discussing with my family whether I should pull out of a decent gig on Saturday due to infection rates. They said 'Pull Out' and I sent a very apologetic email to the rest of the band explaining my reasons. 5 minutes after I sent it, got an email from the bandleader explaining the organisers had decided to cancel it anyway!😅 If I'd waited a few minutes  I could have saved myself the torment....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just spent  a lot of time today discussing with my family whether I should pull out of a decent gig on Saturday due to infection rates. They said 'Pull Out' and I sent a very apologetic email to the rest of the band explaining my reasons. 5 minutes after I sent it, got an email from the bandleader explaining the organisers had decided to cancel it anyway!😅 If I'd waited a few minutes  I could have saved myself the torment....

We had one a couple of months back, the guitarist wanted to pull out from a gig, eventually we managed to persuade one of the new guitarists to cover it, then it turned out he was actually playing another gig the same night and had forgotten, so we got another guitarist to cover it, then the singers son got covid so we had to call off. Then on the day it chucked it down so much they had to cancel the entire event anyway.

My last gig before the guitarist left was 2.5 weeks ago, the new guys can't start until march or so. when the guitarist left he said 'seems like the timing is going to end up alright for having to be out gigging'. Maybe he was right, but then i caught a nasty cold at that gig and was ill for the next two weeks.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't hold out much hope for my NYE gig. Still on at time of writing, but there's plenty of time for it all to go Cory Wong yet.

I’m the same. Have taken on some gigs at a hotel in December including NYE, and crossing everything that they don’t get cancelled as haven’t been working much at all for a good few weeks. Some of our band’s theatre dates starting in January (some being rescheduled for maybe the 3rd time) are possibly looking doubtful, again. Customer confidence will only stretch so far I think, and it’s getting harder each day to remain optimistic about what will happen next. 

10 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Its no more life-threatening now than it was a week ago...

As Chris Witty said a few days ago, it's too early to say anything like that.

Even if it may not be life threatening it can be life changing. My oldest friend has long covid, my work mate has long covid, a family friend in her mid 30s has post covid complications (she's struggling to walk now), friend a few doors down from me gets pain in his joints regularly,  wife's work friend has serious post covid fatigue (someone who was very active and fit and ran marathons), and my wife has post covid arthritis. Our GP says it's either a post covid infection or covid has 'caused arthritis. 

I don't know or have a large group of friends but I seem to know an increasing number of people hit hard by this.

55 minutes ago, Rich said:

Get well soon matey :drinks:

Ta. I had one day of hell and a few rough days but coming out of it now though. Have still had to cancel all family visits and almost everything we were looking forward to this Christmas, but luckily the kids aren't sick so that's the main thing.

I'm half hoping this weekends (18th Dec) gig will be cancelled. But it's a pub and doesn't fall under the same rules as larger venues, so the bar manager (friend of one of our singers) says it's still going ahead.

I hate cancelling gigs, even if we have a valid reason - like one of us has fallen ill. But there really ought to be clearer guidance for this sort of thing from the government, such as pubs can stay open, but no entertainment, or table service only again.  As it is, once more, the advice is vague and puts the onus on the public to do what they think best. If you get sick, it's your fault and the government can't be blamed.

We've had a discussion and it looks like we are going to do this gig, but in what appears to be an act of self sabotage, we are actively not promoting it. We've also said we'll take whatever precautions we can to keep ourselves safe and out of harms way.

After this weekend, we don't have anything until February.

Oh, and keep testing!

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I'm half hoping this weekends (18th Dec) gig will be cancelled. But it's a pub and doesn't fall under the same rules as larger venues, so the bar manager (friend of one of our singers) says it's still going ahead.

If the gig isn't cancelled, I suspect that the pub will be empty, with just die hard alcoholics and anti vaxxers in attendance.

I'm meeting a friend in a pub tonight, which I expect (hope) will be empty too.

• Like 1