Why become a member? ×

Alternative to a bass guitar?

tom1946

Hi all,

my health is not what it used to be in that I'm having trouble hefting a bass these days and I have wrist tendon damage so I'm wondering

if there is an electronic way of playing bass?

I know keyboards have an amazing range of voices but is there anything that is bass specific out there?

It would be much easier on me if I could just sit and play some keys to get a reasonable bass sound.

Any thoughts, recommended products that would do the job?

My IK multimedia came with modo bass. It is very versatile. Has range of basses, selection of playing techniques, pick, finger style , slap. String selection including fresh and old string m you can move around the position big pick ups. Have a look in You Tube and see what you think.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SH73 said:

My IK multimedia came with modo bass. It is very versatile. Has range of basses, selection of playing techniques, pick, finger style , slap. String selection including fresh and old string m you can move around the position big pick ups. Have a look in You Tube and see what you think.

Thanks for that, it looks amazing.I'm not understanding how to go with it, do I need a keyboard? Or does it come with one? Can I use it live which is the most important bit? Or is it just software?

I have a uke bass but there are plenty of better lightweight options, if that were to be a problem for you. I guess the issue is more lugging an amp too? The Hofner Beatle bass is very light, short scale and easy to play. The amp side of things could be offset with a amp simulator pedal... unless you are set on the keyboard route. Best of luck resolving this. 

Thanks everyone.

Just so as I'm clear, I need something I can play live in our church on Sunday mornings, can't use a computer there, so I'm thinking about something I can connect to my 300w trace combo because it never moves.

Good idea about a hofner tho'

Just now, tom1946 said:

Thanks everyone.

Just so as I'm clear, I need something I can play live in our church on Sunday mornings, can't use a computer there, so I'm thinking about something I can connect to my 300w trace combo because it never moves.

Good idea about a hofner tho'

Sorry to hear about your health issues Tom.

I broke my shoulder a few years ago and carried on earning a living by using a Roland D10 to play bass in my function band. Did this for a few months with no problems, but obviously keyboard knowledge enabled it to work.

Have you tried a bass uke? The playability and different string tension from a regular bass may just be okay for you to manage, and in the right setting they can sound ace. Never tried one with a Trace combo but would imagine it could work well! Mine is a Countryman, cost £149 and is a great little thing, Tried it up against a Kala but didn’t think there was much difference in quality for around £300 more.

If you wanted to borrow mine to see how you’d get on, I’d be happy to let you give it a try as am currently not using it.

All the best, Pete.

32 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I don't find the novation bass station 2 versitile.

Who mentioned being versatile?  It's still a really good synth for bass sounds, and you don't need to faff around with a computer.

Edited by Doddy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

On the Novation Bass Station 2 - why on earth did they make the lowest note a C?

Surely they should have made it a A to match the low end of a piano?

It's to do with the keybeds available to the manufacturers.

Most companies, apart from the giants like Yamaha & Roland, don't manufacture their own keybeds, they just buy them from a company that does.

Most, if not all small keyboards with a two octave range will have a keybed that starts at C because that's what is available to them.