Why become a member? ×

Compact body basses

BassApprentice

I love small-bodied basses. I wouldn't say that I have actively sought them out over the years but I have always enjoyed them when I've had them. 

The body shape that will always hold an appeal to me is the Spector NS shape. Not only is it relatively small anyway, the curved shape makes it feel even more compact and ergonomic. I cannot say for certain, but I believe that Steinberger must have given consideration to designing body shapes where there is not much 'ground' to cover for the right hand between the edge of the instrument and the strings. 

Some other notably small-bodied and comfortable basses I've owned include the Kubicki Ex Factor and the Pedulla Buzz shape. The Factor body is a design masterpiece so far as I am concerned. Even now, forty years later, it is nearly unparalleled from an ergonomic and packaging standpoint. The Buzz also has a very small body compared to what you might think when you look at photos of the bass. Whenever I get my Pentabuzz out of the case I'm taken aback a little by how small it really is. They're not necessarily light basses but they are small and compact and a joy to play. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Super early. I  think mine's 67 from memory 

Yeah, I got it made before Martin had started the bass gallery. I remember going to his workshop, in a basement if I remember, picking out the woods from what he had lying around. He even lent me a couple of basses so I could get a feel for various neck profiles. 

Yes, I've recently been seeking out lighter weight basses. My Japan Fender P Lyte has a slightly smaller body than conventional fender P's. 

Although I didn't particularly like steinberger style basses in the past, I'm now a convert. The really small bodies make them lightweight and compact - which can be a real bonus. 

I really liked a couple of Jazz bases I owned, but I found the shape of the bottom of the body made them trickier to play while sat on the sofa.... something I seem to do quite a bit lately.

My Cort Steiny clone, which I picked up for a really reasonable price. I added the strap button extender, and this made it easier for me to play. I'm 6' tall, but still found it a stretch to reach the far end of the neck. It sounds absolutely awesome. Someone fitted EMG passive pups, and they sound huge.

Recently acquired (from Burns Bass here on BC) Yamaha BX-1. Sounds lovely with flats. Very thumpy.

The yam is just over 3kg, the cort is even lighter. 

20211223_181213~2.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1