Why become a member? ×

Compact body basses

BassApprentice

think I have worked out what's most important to me in a bass. 

It's not the neck, or pickup arrangement or even number of strings. It's a smaller body. 

The two basses I've got on best with recently is my MTD Kingston K5 and a Sandberg Electra VS4 which I regret selling a bit. I've currently got a Sire V7 which just isn't working, just like the other 3 jazz basses I've had in the past haven't worked.

And recently I tried a Squier CV 50s P Bass which was great, but the G&L SB2 I tried after just felt better to me. Of course, this could just be another phase but having a large bodied bass might be something I just don't like. Anyone else in the same camp? 

I do enjoy my Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass - the body's the same size as the guitar with a big long neck glued into it.  When Gibson released the Oversized Les Paul bass, a little sick went in my mouth.

Then again, I have an Epiphone JC Signature.  I'm so contrary :D

• Like 1

My 2 main basses are a Jazz and a custom Sei Flamboyant. The jazz neck starts to join the body at the 15th fret and the Sei at the 24th fret. In consequence the body on the Sei bass is about half that of the jazz and far more ergonomic to play. 

When you put the two side by side the jazz body looks unnecessarily large. I love the jazz but I might be tempted to get a smaller bodied version made without a cumbersome neck joint.

• Like 1

I'm a big guy at 1,96 m (6'5") but I too really enjoy a smaller body and an overall more compact instrument. I really enjoy the small body of my Warwick Streamers, they're essentially based on the Spector NS shape that's been around since 1977 and the curves and compact size really are a treat. 

• Like 2

Yes the G&L SB basses do feel like sleeker and more refined versions of their ancestors. My old SB1 with flats is like a pair of ancient jeans that feel like a second skin, combines with a pair of warm slippers.

When I pick up the Stingray (pre EB slab body) it feels like a right chunky sod, but I love that about it, and for me the hand position is really comfortable - the bass isn't even very heavy, so that's lucky. 

I'm not that sensitive to neck width or profile, but do really appreciate the rounded feel of a played in neck.

3 hours ago, ped said:

Yes the G&L SB basses do feel like sleeker and more refined versions of their ancestors. My old SB1 with flats is like a pair of ancient jeans that feel like a second skin, combines with a pair of warm slippers.

I had a USA SB-2, and it was indeed very sleek and comfortable but much heavier than its compact size and slim, narrow neck would have you expect! 

Despite being fairly tall, I find a smaller body more comfortable. Even with guitars my preference is a Tele or SG sort of size. I'm also no fan of sharp edges or slab bodies, even the Tele 6 string I made for myself has forearm and belly cuts and deeper round overs on the edges.

With basses Warwick Thumbs, Corvettes and Streamers, Spector N4's and the like tend to be in my happy place, just have to be careful about the choice of woods, some of those beautiful timbers can be pretty heavy and overly heavy basses are another thing I try to avoid. (Hey, I'm 69 with lower back issues I have to take care of. Growing old is a right royal pain sometimes.)

• Like 1