Why become a member? ×

Zut alors

pete.young

Well I woke up this morning, and what did I see?

A failed neck joint !

Off to see Peter at ME Strings later this week to see if there's any hope of a repair, but given the pegbox is already on borrowed time I think this could be the end of the line for my old faithful Musima.

image.thumb.png.2623c071541469c8a712e84fc8ab9b5c.png

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 09:22, Marc S said:

Any news on this bass @pete.young?
Hope it's fixable

Sadly the Big Guy didn't make it. It doesn't make economic sense to repair.

Once we got it apart, it became obvious that the neck had come unglued once before and been repaired by someone using PVA and the wrong clamps. This was probably either my old man or his bass-playing mate, neither of whom are around to ask any more. This failure caused a lot of damage to both the neck and the socket, with bits of one ripped off and stuck to the other. The cost of what I would call a bodge repair, to clean off the worst of the glue and shove it back together with a couple of large screws, was more than the value of the bass. And there would still be the question of the dodgy peg box repair.

An almost identical bass with a similar ghastly repair and a non-dodgy pegbox sold on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for £125 quid.

So I've obtained a second-hand Stentor student bass as a replacement, which is being set up instead. The strings,  tailpiece and endpin are being transferred across, Peter is going to use the fingerboard to make violin bits out of and I have the body which I am contemplating turning into a bookshelf or cocktail cabinet.