Why become a member? ×

Straight vs Angled Jack Socket

Petey

Unless you are using a bass/guitar with a Strat type input plate, I find it best to use  right  angled jack at the instrument end and a straight at the amp. The only basses that use the Strat type input plate to my knowledge are the later Fender Aerodynes If you are going into a pedal or pedal board you may need right angled at both ends. In my opinion right angled jacks tend to stay put when pulled so are a beeter bet. There is no technical reason why you shpuld shosse one over the other though.

I  make all my own cables and sell a few to fellow basschatters so I am a little biased. However most branded cables should be avoided. The long moulded plug covers or long pieces of heat shrink, often hide poor quality components  I have heard good things about Planet Waves. Lynx make good cables and Designacables are recommended by many on here. If you want a quote or just advice, eithe repy or DM me.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

I've used angled jacks on my leads for many years and never had an issue.  Buy decent quality like Neutrik and you'll be fine.

I use mainly Neutrik. The plugs are solid construction, wheras many jacks are riveted and can come loose. For other brands it depends on the range. The HiCon silent jacks are superb.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

There are probably more issues with straight jacks, which angled ones fix. Angled jacks are less obtrusive in the first place, provide less leverage against the jack socket if they are knocked, and don't have a straight pull along the cable so don't really yank out by mistake.

Good to know!

I bought most of OBBM's stock when he retired and have since added to it.

Edited by Chienmortbb
added feedback link
  • Like 1

Been using right angle jack plugs for years without issue.  That may have something to do with them being a) Neutrik and b) put together by obbm and not me.  Definitely prefer how they protrude less from the instrument and I'd only use a straight jack for a Strat style recessed jack socket as previously mentioned.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all you replies and what you say confirms my thoughts and actions of using angled jacket sockets  for my bass/pedal board - both ends - over the past 15-20 years.

Its just that I have heard different sides of the angled vs straight jack argument over the years from various local/national fellow musicians in my circle, and as I'm just about to pull the trigger on some 'very' expensive leads wanted to doubley. trippley -etc, etc make sure/confirm about the angled jack question through your opinions/experiences.

I have bought several  leads from OBBM in the past (all wonderful and great - and still are) before he packed up and moved (I even bought a UV70 Sadowsky from him at his home = wonderful instrument).

Many thanks for your replies - its a wonderful site x

• Like 1