Why become a member? ×

Hold Music

cheddatom

I bet there's at least one bass chatter who writes hold music? I'm on hold to Eon now. There's a fairly nice piece that starts with what sounds like harmonic diads played on bass. It then layers up with some guitar and a bit of percussion. It sounds like something someone would do at an open mic with a looper, except it just goes round and round and there's no vocal.

One section in particular had me thinking - do these companies ask the composer to deliberately attempt to get the caller to put the phone down? I'd be interested to know what sort of brief you get

There's a slightly out of tune guitar just running down the major scale, over and over again and it feels like it's screaming at me JUST HANG UP

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

IIRC research shows that people are likely to stay on hold longer, if music they do not know is playing.

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

[Citation missing.]

North, A., Hargreaves, D. and Mckendrick, J., 1999. Music and on-hold waiting time. British Journal of Psychology, 90(1), pp.161-164.

😝

I've got very familiar with Wren Kitchens and DFS's hold music and if I were to hear them now would probably trigger Pavlovian rage.

There was supplier I used to call quite regularly in my supply chain days in Essex who had a pub-rock CD as their hold music, Judas Priest and similar. When I complimented them on this they said it had been set by a previous employee and they didn't know how to change it :D