Why become a member? ×

Secondhand 3Leaf Audio Pedals

bassist_lewis

Just now, Kev said:

After 4 months?  I thought the money back guarantee was shorter than that to be honest?

Even so, I don't understand why they need 4 months.  No cash flow issue as they have it all from the preorder sales, unless the cash is paying for something else... And thats the worry.

I think you can open up a dispute thingy within 6 months and PayPal seem to be very consumer rather than seller focussed in their approach.

I suspect the 4 months is less clandestine though. Just about all manufacturers reliant on any form of device chips, all the way up to luxury car makers, are struggling with their chip supplies at the moment - a legacy of Covid which has created a massive back-log.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Yeah it's gone now.

Much as these guys need support, given how many pedal builders are just disappearing right now, paying up front for a pedal with a 4 month lead is a hell of a risk to take.  Yet people are clearly taking it...

That’s nowt. Try paying $3500 upfront for a MIDIbass that takes nearly four years to get built!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

That’s nowt. Try paying $3500 upfront for a MIDIbass that takes nearly four years to get built!

I don't know what that is, but I'm sure there's more to building that than there is building a fairly simple pedal that must be nearly a decade old by now! 

3 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

From the builder's perspective, they're taking a big risk to buy parts and spend time building without any certainty that they're going to sell. My understanding is that independent builders are working on pretty low profit margins, despite the price per unit, and from what I've heard/read that's the case across the board.

Probably more of a case of cash flow but I agree there’s little risk to the buyer with PayPal 

3leaf have never had a problem selling stock 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

Probably more of a case of cash flow but I agree there’s little risk to the buyer with PayPal 

3leaf have never had a problem selling stock 

Yeah, I agree with you there. But has something changed in the last few years to make cash flow an issue? Surely in the Before Times iron Ether/3Leaf would build a stock of pedals and sell them, rather than insist on pre-sale?

2 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Yeah, I agree with you there. But has something changed in the last few years to make cash flow an issue? Surely in the Before Times iron Ether/3Leaf would build a stock of pedals and sell them, rather than insist on pre-sale?

Covid has changed things and supply/price of components, so ready cash has been whittled down to a minimum probably.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ped said:

It also adds fuel to the hype train whilst helping them remain elusive and expensive! 

Turns off people like me though, who just get annoyed with that BS. 

I just can't think of any good reason why the builder of a range of pedals, who has previously distributed to stores across the US as well as a quick moving stock supply on their website (and stopped doing so prior to Covid/parts shortages etc), now needs upfront payment and a 4 month lead time to build one pedal, and one pedal only, in the range.

8 minutes ago, Kev said:

I just can't think of any good reason why the builder of a range of pedals, who has previously distributed to stores across the US as well as a quick moving stock supply on their website (and stopped doing so prior to Covid/parts shortages etc), now needs upfront payment and a 4 month lead time to build one pedal, and one pedal only, in the range.

Maybe they have used the business funds paying rent, rates and utility bills the last two years to try and keep from total closure. I work in live events and know a few companies that have had to do this.
Maybe there have been personal issues that have stopped  production,  but costs on above have still needed to be paid. 
It’s really quite simple, purchase or don’t.

Also it’s probably not one pedal. When companies like this open orders they usually get swamped so extra help is hired in or lead times get pushed even further away. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Maybe they have used the business funds paying rent, rates and utility bills the last two years to try and keep from total closure. I work in live events and know a few companies that have had to do this.
Maybe there have been personal issues that have stopped  production,  but costs on above have still needed to be paid. 
It’s really quite simple, purchase or don’t.

Also it’s probably not one pedal. When companies like this open orders they usually get swamped so extra help is hired in or lead times get pushed even further away. 

As mentioned, the Iron Ether thing started some time before Covid.  Bur yeah, theres obviously something in the water as there as so many pedal builders all but disappearing, its a shame :( 

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Turns off people like me though, who just get annoyed with that BS. 

Didn't a bunch of folk pre-order the £1,600 Quad Cortex mulitfx? Don't remember any angst about them doing that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Didn't a bunch of folk pre-order the £1,600 Quad Cortex mulitfx? Don't remember any angst about them doing that.

You clearly weren't following the guitar forums in 2020! 😂

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned in another thread, 3Leaf are seemingly back in business. There was a limited (I believe 50 or so) run of Doom 2s and Octabvres released on Sunday night, although gone in six minutes flat. Hopefully it’s a sign that the pedals will be more easily attainable again some time soon. The website states there will be a run of Protons later in summer, too and prices have even been updated for the Chromatron.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, admiralchew said:

As I mentioned in another thread, 3Leaf are seemingly back in business. There was a limited (I believe 50 or so) run of Doom 2s and Octabvres released on Sunday night, although gone in six minutes flat. Hopefully it’s a sign that the pedals will be more easily attainable again some time soon. The website states there will be a run of Protons later in summer, too and prices have even been updated for the Chromatron.

I tried to get one. Put a reminder on my phone and everything, but I hesitated over which gain type to get and missed out 😔

13 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I tried to get one. Put a reminder on my phone and everything, but I hesitated over which gain type to get and missed out 😔

Agh, sorry to hear that. Hopefully though this will be the start of seeing them more regularly available.

I think I picked mine up in December 2020 and I’m pretty sure they didn’t sell out in five minutes. 3Leaf, Iron Ether and some other boutique builders have slowly started to put inventory out again and it looks like there are tentative signs of some of the heat coming out of the secondary pedal market, which would be a good thing all round.

I wasn’t sure we’d ever see them again for a period so even small batches is a big win at this point. Plus we may see people move on the black version.

Good luck on the next drop!

Edited by admiralchew
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Amateur cashflow - should have got both and flogged the other for 20% more a few months later! ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the 3Leaf Audio Doom 2 is becoming the bass effect equivalent of the Klon pedal for guitars! Hahaha 

My one has never been used - it has just sat in my effects stash cupboard since I bought it new!! 

20220624_203822.jpg

20220624_203813.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Sounds like the 3Leaf Audio Doom 2 is becoming the bass effect equivalent of the Klon pedal for guitars! Hahaha 

My one has never been used - it has just sat in my effects stash cupboard since I bought it new!! 

20220624_203822.jpg

20220624_203813.jpg

How much would it take to take that off you?

1 hour ago, kevin_lindsay said:

20220624_203822.jpg

20220624_203813.jpg

It's equally baffling really  Amazing what rarity does to a pedal/builders legacy.  The Doom was a cool pedal, but it used to hang around in classifieds a while before they sold.  And now, well yeah.

It looks like a new batch of Protons will be coming in the Ghost finish in a couple of months. Presumably that means no more Doom 2s for the moment but, as deliveries of the last batch are taking place, it may be that some hit the secondary market (although that doesn't necessarily mean they won't cost a few bob). The supply chain issues are still having an impact but hopefully as that eases a more usual service will resume.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kev said:

Interesting Instagram comment from Bass Direct Re: new stock

Screenshot_20220701-225955_Instagram.thumb.jpg.b665d9b9e42d5fca8ab08cdb8bbc405c.jpg

Here's me thinking I'm the only one who still thinks that way about Spencer 😅

It’s because he’s no longer selling to retail stores, he said as much a while back.