Why become a member? ×

Secondhand 3Leaf Audio Pedals

bassist_lewis

Anyone noticed an insane increase in the price of 3Leaf Audio pedals? I recently saw a Chromatron up for about £700, then last night saw an Octabvre mk2 on sale for £800. It was gone by this morning!

I understand why, they're amazing pedals and Spencer isn't building at the moment, or at least is only filling back orders, but it still seems a bit ridiculous, like the original Klons that go for £5k.

Edited by bassist_lewis
spelling/punctuation
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

Anyone noticed an insane increase in the price of 3Leaf Audio pedals? I recently saw a Chromatron up for about £700, then last night saw an Octabvre mk2 on sale for £800. It was gone by this morning!

I understand why, they're amazing pedals and Spencer isn't building at the moment, or at least is only filling back orders, but it still seems a bit ridiculous, like the original Klons that go for £5k.

Where did you see these?  I’m gonna shift mine if I can sell them for this much!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Probably Japanese prices (they do ramp them up) or a scam if it’s disappeared 

I’ve purchased a few 3leaf pedals this year one quite recently for the going market price 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I’ve purchased a few 3leaf pedals this year one quite recently for the going market price 

Yeah. I’m guessing scam too…I’ve never seen any at this price before….just interested to know where they’d been seen…certainly not on here. 

24 minutes ago, Bunion said:

The last ones I saw here was expensive but not as outlandish as these examples (almost bought the Octabvre mini but got a speeding fine and couldn't afford it 😪) I think the Chromatron was in the US and the Octabvre was in Germany. I didn't consider that it might be a scam... its a very niche one if it is!!

• Like 1

I've noticed that a lot of prices on Reverb are well above 'reasonable' and seem to indicate quite a bit of "arm chancing".

There's no "correct price" for anything used - music/bass related or otherwise -  of course but something seemingly overpriced 'disappearing' does often mean that it's been withdrawn from sale rather than sold at that price.

I see quite a lot of "high priced" items for sale but they tend to hang around for very long times and you never know what they actually sell for.

Stuff may also circulate around shops/dealers with incremental price drops to stop it looking desperate/stale although this is more prevalent in something like used car sales (well it was - although in Covid/Supply Chain Issue times the cost of used cars has risen very significantly).

• Like 1

I have sold many items on basschat and alyways try to price competitively. But times are hard, and as much as id like to give ppl a deal, the money is more important right now so my price strategy has changed slightly. 

I have a mint condition chromatron that i was thinking about selling. and if i do, it will be listed at the price i paid. £3,000,000

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Also looks like prices will go up too. Spencer just announced that his prices will be going up. 

Just read it. Annoyed I didn't get in quicker and finally get the Doom 2 I've been wanting! The changes he's making seem reasonable, it's the way Iron Ether does things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

I have sold many items on basschat and alyways try to price competitively. But times are hard, and as much as id like to give ppl a deal, the money is more important right now so my price strategy has changed slightly. 

I have a mint condition chromatron that i was thinking about selling. and if i do, it will be listed at the price i paid. £3,000,000

Do you take credit card?

Do you take credit card?

Yes.

But seriously tho. 

I recon you could shift it now for more than new price. They were rocking horse poo. Now they are hens teeth. 

(Based on the fact that you could technically put poo in a rockinghorse. But I don't think you would have the patience to put dentures in a chicken)

Edited by GisserD
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I only saw it thanks to @charlietuna, who told me about it and snagged the last Doom 2.

I will find him...

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Yes.

But seriously tho. 

I recon you could shift it now for more than new price. They were rocking horse poo. Now they are hens teeth. 

(Based on the fact that you could technically put poo in a rockinghorse. But I don't think you would have the patience to put dentures in a chicken)

I'm sure I could but owning the pedals is more important to me than having the money (currently!).

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Not always a scam. People have been capitalising on the scarcity. 

Agreed not always, but it’s a known and proven method of cleaning money  buying overpriced ‘rare’ items or withdrawing funds from credit companies like PayPal that need an invoice to do so 

13 hours ago, GisserD said:

The chromatron is regarded by the experts (Q and i) as the best 3leaf filter there is. 

Is anybody in the market for one? 

And what would you pay? Knowing that there won't be any more. 

I would agree its the best he's ever made (though the Proton 4 is no slouch). I paid £300 for mine which I was happy paying but I don't think I would pay much over that. But the price will rise to whatever the market can support. If people are willing to pay £5k for a klon, why not £500 for a Chromatron?

13 hours ago, GisserD said:

The chromatron is regarded by the experts (Q and i) as the best 3leaf filter there is. 

Is anybody in the market for one? 

And what would you pay? Knowing that there won't be any more. 

I'm in the market for one, but in the classifieds there's recently been: 

Bassballs £40, 00Funk (clone) £45, DOD 25B £75, MXR M82 £85, 3 leaf GR £135, FI £200, all combined = £580....personally I'd rather have all of them (and still have money in my pocket for a LS2 or EHX Switchblade pro and cables) rather than spending the £700 that someone advertised for a Chromatron. That would be a very filter filled pedal board (massive though!),  almost limitless once stacking them and running in parallel etc. vs what one Chromatron can do.

I think the most I could justify spending on a Chromatron would be £200, that's what I'd value it's functionality as if there wasn't scarcity - but I'm sure others would spend more due to the scarcity, that gets a bit into stamp collecting type mindset though.

Edited by SumOne

32 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm in the market for one, but in the classifieds there's recently been: 

Bassballs £40, 00Funk (clone) £45, DOD 25B £75, MXR M82 £85, 3 leaf GR £135, FI £200, all combined = £580....personally I'd rather have all of them (and still have money in my pocket for a LS2 or EHX Switchblade pro and cables) rather than spending the £700 that someone advertised for a Chromatron. That would be a very filter filled pedal board (massive though!),  almost limitless once stacking them and running in parallel etc. vs what one Chromatron can do.

I think the most I could justify spending on a Chromatron would be £200, that's what I'd value it's functionality as if there wasn't scarcity - but I'm sure others would spend more due to the scarcity, that gets a bit into stamp collecting type mindset though.

Agreed there's been alot in the classifieds recently that are great. But IMHO the chromatron rules them all for LPF. 

But it's horses for courses of corses. 

Ultimately (and nobody can disagree) an item is worth what somone is willing to pay. 

But different things are worth differing amount to different people. 

• Like 1

I would agree its the best he's ever made (though the Proton 4 is no slouch). I paid £300 for mine which I was happy paying but I don't think I would pay much over that. But the price will rise to whatever the market can support. If people are willing to pay £5k for a klon, why not £500 for a Chromatron?

Reckon you could easily get north of £350 for it, @GisserD

Edited by Quatschmacher

On 12/12/2021 at 18:29, bassist_lewis said:

Madness!

Haven't tried a Chromatron, but the filter series seemed to be getting progressively less interesting since the GR2.  I wasn't impressed at all with the Wonderlove.  I wouldn't feel compelled to pay anything remotely near those prices.  I find it impossible to believe someone would pay £800 for an Octabvre, a pedal cloning an OC-2 and an Octave Divider, and selling for more than both of the originals would combined.

In fact the only pedal I've really been impressed with is the Doom, as it went somewhat against Spencer's usual remit (an actual original design), and the Doom 2 seems to get people excited.

I don't like the guy, but I hope he's okay as it is odd that he's stepped back during a time you'd think he may really boom, as others have done.

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Madness!

Haven't tried a Chromatron, but the filter series seemed to be getting progressively less interesting since the GR2.  I wasn't impressed at all with the Wonderlove.  I wouldn't feel compelled to pay anything remotely near those prices.  I find it impossible to believe someone would pay £800 for an Octabvre, a pedal cloning an OC-2 and an Octave Divider, and selling for more than both of the originals would combined.

In fact the only pedal I've really been impressed with is the Doom, as it went somewhat against Spencer's usual remit (an actual original design), and the Doom 2 seems to get people excited.

I don't like the guy, but I hope he's okay as it is odd that he's stepped back during a time you'd think he may really boom, as others have done.

Chromatron is way better than the Wonderlove.