Why become a member? ×

Have you got any experience with cabinet "isolators" like the Harley Benton Amp Iso?

BELA

I mostly play at home nowadays and was thinking about putting something between the cabinet and the floor to make me a bit "quieter" to my neighbors.

My floor in Spanish is "tarima flotante" meaning, more or less, wood pallets.

I have found this in Thomann and was wondering if you have tried it and/or if you may have some other options.

Thanks!

https://www.thomann.de/es/harley_benton_amp_iso_2.htm

Auralex Acoustics is the leader for such isolators.

I use a Gramma myself home as it's a very old house with wooden floors everywhere and it helps to minimise sound transmission.

That said, the Harley Benton is way cheaper and certainly almost as efficient as the Auralex Acoustics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A rug will damp cab vibrations just the same. The majority of floor excitation comes from the cab moving the air at low frequencies.

Low frequencies travel through solid objects way better than high frequency. Hence boom boom boom downstairs.

There was a joker on TB insistent that all the science is wrong. He even started selling little iso puck sets on string. Then he actually tested them properly.... he was big enough to come back and tell all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought some half metre square heavy rubber shock absorbing tiles from a company that supplies them to children's playgrounds and the like (they are supposed to stop the little dears bashing their brains out when they fall from the slides, etc). I use them under the PA subs and my bass rig. They work very well and were pleasingly inexpensive - a LOT cheaper than Gramma et al.

• Haha 1

I was ordering from thomann anyway and took the chance that the isolation pad might stop my home setup from rattling the floorboards. You know what? It sort of does! I can't speak to their intended use of gig isolation but they should work OK for your purposes. The photo has a weird perspective, the isolator is more than wide enough. 1229083404_RigJune2020.thumb.jpg.af6afc51588327513a4f0d6055ac5c70.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mechanical decoupling is a very real effect, stops the physical vibrations of the cab from exciting the structure of the floor, thus reducing bass "boom" on hollow floors.

It'll do nothing for air-borne vibration shaking loose and hollow floors about, but it'll help.

I have a Gramma under my QSC, very similar to Jacks rig above, I used to use it under the sub in my old flat to stop annoying the people downstairs.

• Thanks 1