Why become a member? ×

NBD- Lakland 44-64 PJ

Old Horse Murphy

So 2021 was due to be a fallow year in terms of gear buying for me but I fell off the wagon early and to say I didn't buy much gear this year couldn't be further from the truth. So, to finish off the year in style I decided I wanted to add another P Bass to my collection, before trying (really trying) to be sensible next year with my purchases. 

I wanted something different to my number 1 P bass that I could primarily string with round wounds, but similar enough that I could dial those buttery P Bass tones in when needed. I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money though. 

Anyway, speaking to an old mucker of mine yesterday who plays mainly keys, he told me he had just got hold of a new Lakland Skyline Special Edition 44-64 that he can't quite gel with. He said wasn't too far from me this weekend so we arranged to meet up and he popped over today with the bass. 

It's in an Ice Blue Metallic finish with a Jazz width neck and for something I wouldn't usually like, it sort of works for me looks-wise. 

Practically it's a wee bit heavier than I would usually feel comfortable with (it's 9 1/2lbs) and I'm not a fan of PJ's but I forgot just how good Laklands are to play. This one is exceptionally playable and on a strap it really doesn't feel heavier than my other basses at all. 

Sound-wise the Jazz pickup is noticeably quieter than the P bass one (as I've found with most PJ's) and even when both are blended in I can't hear any discernible difference to a usual P Bass pickup. 

Build quality is right up there as it is with any other Lakland I've played and man, that neck is just something else. 

I've got it for today and tomorrow to see how I get on with it. Weight aside (it really doesn't feel that heavy on a strap) and the fact it's a bit gaudy for my usual tastes: Oh, and the fact it's a PJ, it just plays so well. I'm really tempted, especially as GG has them in their sale currently (£899) which is less than annex-demo they're also advertising with a bit of damage!

2EDECA76-59F9-46DA-9324-19E8F16B5CCA.jpeg

45C1D6D3-AD4C-4051-BF22-971BEC1823B8.jpeg

5B4F0319-FE2B-4226-8B82-31182F2184DA.jpeg

5510E7CE-802D-43CA-8AA1-154619AA16B0.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 13

Nice looking bass - and with "Lakland" on the headstock you can be pretty sure it is a quality bass. Laklands are another brand that sell for significantly less than you'd expect - great VFM.

I'm jealous but at the same time I know I probably wouldn't play a 4 string since moving to 5ers.

I've got a USA 44-64 PJ with a Jazz neck that is my go-to bass and I love it.

I endorse everything folks have said about how wonderful the  Lakland necks feel, but I am also a big fan of the Lakland/ Hanson pickups. To my ears they are very punchy with a high output and not overly polite like some boutique brands I could mention. My PJ has got a NeoPunch in it and it's s bit of a beast! Also, call me crazy if you like but I also feel like the small frets somehow give these basses a slightly "woodier" sound. Probably my imagination but that is my impression anyway.

Enjoy your new bass. This looks like a lovely example. There's not much music a decent PJ can't cover. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1