Why become a member? ×

How important is gear to your sound?

Rayman

Gear is important so far as you need the tools to consistently get the job done. Me, I don’t like compression…probably because I’m an old fart who didn’t grow up listening to much compressed signal. For me, it’s bass, amp, patch cord. That’s not everyone though, and you have to respect what others are doing.

I like a set up that needs little input from flat and my current rig gives me that. Occasional small nudges for venue acoustics but not by much. The balance of tone when playing across the full neck is important to me. I've had amps that seem to drop out some frequencies or notes. I used to think that was just my imagination until i bought my current rig and now its perfect for me with no drop outs.

With basses i like a Jazz bass but i've found "my tone" using P basses or others. They sound slightly different in tone but the overall feel is "ME". I play fingerstyle in a more aggressive way but i'm trying to curb that back a bit as i end up with sore fingertips after a long gig.

At the moment i'm over the moon with my Sandberg basses in particular the MarloweDK. The tone and feel is virtually perfect for me and what i do.

My Geddy Jazz has more attack than the Marlowe but the tonal balance acros the strings is better / more even on the Marlowe.

I tend to agree most have "their tone" altho i do hear players that have a "club sound" that for me is just a general tone and feel with nothing that stands out from anyone or anything else. All the songs in their set have exact same tone and feel. A bit mundane to be honest but each to their own. It doesnt take anything away from their competence on the bass. Their technique could be flawless but boring at same time. 

I'm not so sure i've explained myself very well but for once i'm happy with my gear.

Dave

I know what you mean, Dave, the classic example of that to me are the Andertons bass clips - great players but the tone from the range of basses that is achieved to me is just that, workable, ok, and nothing more. But then some probably salivate over it saying it’s the best tone ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I know what you mean, Dave, the classic example of that to me are the Andertons bass clips - great players but the tone from the range of basses that is achieved to me is just that, workable, ok, and nothing more. But then some probably salivate over it saying it’s the best tone ever.

Know what you mean by the Andertons VIDS. I do like watching them but more for the fun element between them.:D

Having used a lot of venue, studio or other bands backline i've always managed to get a tone pretty close to what i like. It might not be perfect but i'm reasonably satisfied. It just takes a bit of fiddling and knowing what your sound actually is. Once you know what your sound is its relatively quick and easy to tweak EQ to get something workable and on a live gig most people wont even notice the difference between your gigs. Even your own band members wont notice the minor differences.

Dave

Guy came up to me after our first set last night and said he loved my bass and my tone was amazing. He could hear every note played. That's a couple of times i've had this kind of comment in recent gigs.

I have to agree that what i have right now has been the best tone i've ever had.

Amp is just a touch above flat with para EQ set to cut the low end frequencies if i need to. Last 2 gigs had wooden floors/stages and it was just enough cut to take away any hint of a rumble. I have the amp compressor barely on just to limit/level out any failings in my technique. Bass tone i make use from full on to full off depending on the song. The Marlowe bass has a kind of rasp to it almost like a Ric bass but with a P bass depth. Absolutely amazing bass and all thanks to our very own  @Cuzzie for suggesting i try one. 

Sandberg MarloweDK bass

Mesa Mpulse600 amp

Mesa Subway 210 / 115 rig.

I use a TC Electronics reverb for Into the Valley just to fill out the tone a bit.

Dave

• Like 2

My gear is not overly important, it just needs to be able to punch through and have a very forward, aggressive voicing. Playing in a 3-piece. I play more hyperactive lead type bass lines than I do a supporting role, and having a distinctive tone really helps with that. My Modulus Flea is absolutely perfect for the role I take.

I bought an M-Pulse 600 to go specifically with the Flea, not only as it's my favourite all time bass head, but it gives a really big, warm, fat and controlled tone. They are like Ying and Yang!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

I bought an M-Pulse 600 to go specifically with the Flea, not only as it's my favourite all time bass head, but it gives a really big, warm, fat and controlled tone. They are like Ying and Yang!

100% agree. Every time i use mine i'm surprised just how good it sounds.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Guy came up to me after our first set last night and said he loved my bass and my tone was amazing. He could hear every note played. That's a couple of times i've had this kind of comment in recent gigs.

I have to agree that what i have right now has been the best tone i've ever had.

Amp is just a touch above flat with para EQ set to cut the low end frequencies if i need to. Last 2 gigs had wooden floors/stages and it was just enough cut to take away any hint of a rumble. I have the amp compressor barely on just to limit/level out any failings in my technique. Bass tone i make use from full on to full off depending on the song. The Marlowe bass has a kind of rasp to it almost like a Ric bass but with a P bass depth. Absolutely amazing bass and all thanks to our very own  @Cuzzie for suggesting i try one. 

Sandberg MarloweDK bass

Mesa Mpulse600 amp

Mesa Subway 210 / 115 rig.

I use a TC Electronics reverb for Into the Valley just to fill out the tone a bit.

Dave

Good man

best Jazz bass out there and the rest of your rig is killer too

I'm still searching for an 80's keyboard bass sound - not to be confused with an 80's synth bass sound!

So sound is very important to me, as attested by all the effects pedals I'm faffing with 😎

Edited by MacDaddy
Feckin autocorrect!

22 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I took my embassy to a rehearsal yesterday, through the TE combo it was all bottom end. I put in the preshape which helped, but it took some eq tweaking before I got a really good sound, cutting through and able to dig in and get a serious clank when needed.

Used it through my main rig last night. All I did last time was drop the gain. This time I arrived early and played with the EQ, only small changes but really lifted the sound. Also cranked it up with no-one about, nearly took the roof off 😳

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Used it through my main rig last night. All I did last time was drop the gain. This time I arrived early and played with the EQ, only small changes but really lifted the sound. Also cranked it up with no-one about, nearly took the roof off 😳

Sometimes less is more. I've noticed with quite a few amps that a little change in Gain can make quite a difference if its hovering on the sweet spot.

Dave

Whatever I play, it sounds like me playing a... Whatever.

Some basses fit (tonally) better with how I play and produce a better overall result accordingly. 

Worst so far; Yamaha Attitude. Didn't sound like Billy Sheehan. Sounded like me playing an Attitude. All well and good, but it just sounded dull and lifeless. 

Among the best; Vigier Passion Series3, Warwick Infinity SN, and G&L SB-2 Tribute.

Maybe I don't gel with Mudbuckers or I need a bridge pickup?

20 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I'm still searching for an 80's keyboard bass sound - not to be confused with an 80's synth bass sound!

So sound is very important to me, as attested by all the effects pedals I'm faffing with 😎

Got an example? Because I think I know what you mean

10 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Whatever I play, it sounds like me playing a... Whatever.

Some basses fit (tonally) better with how I play and produce a better overall result accordingly. 

But isn't that what you actually want, to find a bass that makes you sound like the best version of you?? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, peteb said:

But isn't that what you actually want, to find a bass that makes you sound like the best version of you?? 

It is.

I think I was just alluding to the fact that even if it IS in the fingers,  some instruments can really complement what you're trying to do tonally, and some just don't. 

• Like 1