Why become a member? ×

What /are/ we?

neepheid

I'm sorry if this comes across like finding a way to finagle The Inevitable Teaspoons new album onto one of the more visited parts of the site, but I don't know how else to do this without mentioning it.  Basically I'm having a hard time tacking a genre onto what we do.  I'm not in any way saying that we've created an entirely new genre of music, but do I have a hard time coming up with a quick, pithy response to the eternal question "what kind of music do you play?".  Now that we've released an album, I need to put this to bed.  That's where you, the collective hive mind of BC come in.

If you don't mind, could you please have a listen to our new album "Money For Old Rope" and tell me your best guess as to what the hell kind of band we are, plus some reasoning behind your decision if I can impinge on your time a little further?

No doubt some of you may have the opinion that we're a bunch of tossers and be quite happy to provide reasons why - but if you could stick to musical genres, that would be much appreciated :D

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/4uG1eJe8yTfgICVIYc1JWP?si=UhewQYHqTTaiRk_f8Aa8og

Bandcamp - https://theinevitableteaspoons.bandcamp.com/album/money-for-old-rope

Edited by neepheid
added links

7 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Agree on the jazz-tinged ska suggestion from what I heard just now. 

Not that it’s always best to reverse engineer these things but didn’t you (or whoever sorted the upload) have to put one or two identifying genres as part of the process? Might kind of answer the question for you…

You're correct that I had to put something and I wimped out and just left it as rock. A wholly unsatisfying cop out, hence the seeking outside opinion - as the band can't agree what we are either. Up here we have a humorous local music "awards" and when nominated we get put in "Best of the rest" because we don't fit neatly into any of their other awards.

• Like 1

I would describe the sound as "a new obscure late night BBC2 comedy theme tune that will initially attract only a few viewers due to a clash with Match Of The Day, but will eventually end up on the BBC1 Saturday prime time slot in a few months time due to millions of people raving about it on social media" -esque.

It should work if you say it quickly enough.

😐

From the title I thought it’s was going to an “are we Bassists or Bass players “ thread with answers like “hey I’m actually a musician who plays bass” and stuff.

But compartmentalising someone into a genre sounds like a lot more fun…. I’ll take a listen and give it a try👍

• Thanks 1

Had a listen. You certainly don’t take yourselves seriously, but take the quality of the music seriously. Sounds a bit ska, but I don’t hear jazz as some others have.

The nearest genre I can think of is what Madness used to call themselves: The Nutty Sound.

Sorry that may not be something you can use.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Ska/Northern Soul, but however it’s labelled I’d look at the ska circuit as that style of music will no doubt get the punters up on their feet.

I reckon it could work well on multi-band ska bill where the punters would want each band to have their own take on the genre.

• Thanks 1

I'll tell you what you are.

Bloody excellent, that's what.

Definitely more ska than anything else.

I'm surprised that you'd even question that, to be honest.

There's a lot of the Madness/ Two Tone/ Northern Soul sounds in there.

I'd definitely suggest marketing yourselves in that area.

Oh, great band name too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Oddly said:

I'll tell you what you are.

Bloody excellent, that's what.

Definitely more ska than anything else.

I'm surprised that you'd even question that, to be honest.

There's a lot of the Madness/ Two Tone/ Northern Soul sounds in there.

I'd definitely suggest marketing yourselves in that area.

Oh, great band name too.

I'm gearing up for a gig with the 'Spoons just now but I just wanted to let you know that I read your comments out to the band and they were very grateful for your kind comments.

Only one of the guys in the band is a proper ska fiend and as you can imagine he's bloody delighted :)

• Like 1

As a lot of folks have already mentioned, the most obvious comparisons would be Madness or The Specials at the point where they'd become a lot more pop-rock than ska revival. Or maybe Dexys Midnight Runners. So, 80's pop-rock. I'd have said "new wave", but it's one of those terms like "hardcore" that's come to mean very different things to different people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1