Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 810 vs Ashdown MAG 810 vs Marshal MBC 810

KASH

[quote name='andy67' post='455269' date='Apr 6 2009, 11:28 AM']the abm is slighlty smaller and more maneuverable..[/quote]

Cheers mate, nice review by the way, and helpful advice :)

In terms of sound a reliability any thoughts ?

the sound from both of these cabs is great - the blueline speakers handle anything. the most significant thing for me was the ability to fine tune the sound because they are not full of mid range muff nor boxy bass or hissy highs. very transparent and clear with tons of bass. for me ashdown is the British ampeg except ampeg have 'that sound' ashdown are a little more than one trick ponies, particularly the cabs - the abm 115 is the best damn 1x15 cab I've ever had the pleasure of using.
andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='455304' date='Apr 6 2009, 12:17 PM']the sound from both of these cabs is great - the blueline speakers handle anything. the most significant thing for me was the ability to fine tune the sound because they are not full of mid range muff nor boxy bass or hissy highs. very transparent and clear with tons of bass. for me ashdown is the British ampeg except ampeg have 'that sound' ashdown are a little more than one trick ponies, particularly the cabs - the abm 115 is the best damn 1x15 cab I've ever had the pleasure of using.
andy[/quote]

Are the speakers the same for both cabs? I mean, the ABM can handle 1200w vs 800w MAG, construction is better in the ABM. Isn't MAG made in far east and ABM in the UK? I'm powering it with a GK 1001RBII...so I'm looking for a wall of sound really! A ground shaking low end is a must! :)

mag is made in china - abm is made in uk and according to the good people at ashdown all cabs mag/abm come fitted with blueline speakers as standard. your gk should power it effortlessly my tace v4 and ampeg svt 3pro had no probs come to think of it neither did the mag 300 i had on loan when my old swr 750x was being repaired and it handled it too.

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='455431' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:50 PM']AS you already have a GK410 - why not just get another one. [b][size=4]8x10's are only for bass players with roadies [/size][/b]:)[/quote]

I wish!

the drummer helps out though and I do have to say the ampeg 810 is quite easy to move about.

andy

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='455431' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:50 PM']AS you already have a GK410 - why not just get another one. 8x10's are only for bass players with roadies :)[/quote]

Not very happy, getting rid of it and go with the good ol' fridge. I'm looking for a good value for money option at the moment...hence this post. Any thoughts on the Marshall anyone?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='455495' date='Apr 6 2009, 02:32 PM']Thats the problem with buying stuff without knowing what it is going to sound like - a mistake it appears you are going to make again :)[/quote]

I did play through one 810 MAG once...(with Ashdown head) quite nice quite a long time ago actually, I have also played an Ampeg 810...a bit better...well what can I say, don't have a showroom with all the bass amps and cabs I would like to try, nor do I know 1000 bass players with different gear so that I can try everything I want...oh well it's hard being a peasant :rolleyes:

8x10?

You should be thinking along these lines if you haven't got the luxury of a roadie - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39253"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39253[/url] - and your back will thank you for it also.

If you do want the size and projection... a Bergantino 6x10 would defo be one to try out.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='455618' date='Apr 6 2009, 04:11 PM']Yes you do know 1000 bass players with different gear. They are all members of basschat! Thats why on a forum like this it is always a good idea to put your location in your details. That way local players might get in touch, cos you never know if a guy in the next street isn't using exactly what you want.[/quote]

yes father :)

[quote name='joegarcia' post='455630' date='Apr 6 2009, 04:21 PM']Er, yea, I'm sure they're really really great but they're a lot more money than all the other cabs he's looking at.[/quote]

True!

You've got a 810 ABM (according to your signature)? Any comments?

Don't think there is much better than Ashdown in the value and bang for bucks stake!

And, you will have customer services in the UK!

There is a lot of affordable/budget 810's out there, all made in China by the looks of things - never been a proponent of Marshall bass gear! guitar gear is tremendous though as is their customer support.

It all comes down to tone, depending on what your looking for you can be assured that Ashdown will give you that 'British' tone and plenty of versatility.

andy

Edited by andy67

I don't really like it that much to be honest but I don't really like 8x10's anymore. It's loud and fairly deep but I don't really like the sound. I'm spoilt with my Aguilars really. I can't imagine ever being happier with other cabs.

They are huge sounding, rounded, fat, stupendously deep and low and unbelievably loud. I have a 1200w amp which I drive hard with lots of abusive effects and they are the only cabs I've never managed to bottom out and fart.

They've completely turned me off 10's and the ABM810 now belongs to Incarnate. I should update my sig really.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='455657' date='Apr 6 2009, 04:37 PM']I don't really like it that much to be honest but I don't really like 8x10's anymore. It's loud and fairly deep but I don't really like the sound. I'm spoilt with my Aguilars really. I can't imagine ever being happier with other cabs.

They are huge sounding, rounded, fat, stupendously deep and low and unbelievably loud. I have a 1200w amp which I drive hard with lots of abusive effects and they are the only cabs I've never managed to bottom out and fart.

They've completely turned me off 10's and the ABM810 now belongs to Incarnate. I should update my sig really.[/quote]

Fair enough, but comparing the ABM with the ones I mentioned (or any other 8x10 in the same price range for that matter) are they a good choice?

...I dig the 2x15's too though :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='455745' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:10 PM']If you keep an eye out you can score the Ashdown 8x10s pretty damn cheap, and more is better, if you don't like 1, try 2.

yes you can pick the abm 8x10 cab up at a good price now,also 4x10's are cheap as well so pick up two of those instead![/quote]

[quote name='KASH' post='455721' date='Apr 6 2009, 06:33 PM']Fair enough, but comparing the ABM with the ones I mentioned (or any other 8x10 in the same price range for that matter) are they a good choice?

...I dig the 2x15's too though :)[/quote]

Sorry to say I haven't used either of the other two options. I've used an Ampeg 8x10 a few times but always with an SVT not my amp (at festivals etc) so couldn't really comment I'm afraid. Sorry to be so unhelpful.

Basically, if you want an 8x10 I could fairly happily recommend the ABM810 for price they seem to be going for secondhand at the moment. I'd personally avoid the Mag purely coz it's ugly. :rolleyes:
The Marshall is worth investigating I reckon. The VBC-810 is good so could imagine the newer one being decent too. Cheap too.