Why become a member? ×

Songwriters gonna songwrite (and lawyers gonna lawy)

tauzero

10 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Hope so, then people might stop saying it.

If someone could sue people for management cow poop phrases as well that would be awesome. 

Just thought I'd run that idea up the flag pole and see who salutes it. Just some blue sky thinking but we need to action these solutions to provide the deliverables to all steakholders.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Logically, the damages should be all the revenue the Plaintiff lost from Spotify as a result of Taylor Swift's plagiarism, and that's an amount that could easily run into pennies.

It was a very popular song. It could easily be 3 or 4 pence

On 11/12/2021 at 10:44, Hellzero said:

I've just copyrighted this :

piano-location-notes-right-middle-left-1

I'm now going to sue everyone and become very rich.

😈 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈

I've just copyrighted this below... 

Someone needs to look after Viola and Bassoon players. ..They're not just novelty acts for the likes of you to exploit...:D

image.png.642ad7c453fa1b7953fd7136f936f194.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

If someone could sue people for management cow poop phrases as well that would be awesome. 

Just thought I'd run that idea up the flag pole and see who salutes it. Just some blue sky thinking but we need to action these solutions to provide the deliverables to all steakholders.

I've got a beef with this post...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

We should take a helicopter view of the synergy before deep diving it and seeing if we can leverage it. And just an 8-ounce, medium, please.

On 11/12/2021 at 07:30, tegs07 said:

No Lawyer involved. Just creativity and mutual respect.

In the 60's Chuck Berry won a case against Brian Wilson because Surfin USA is a rip off of Sweet Little Sixteen.

But cases, such as this one, is the new way that publishers make money out of their songs. The only part of a song that could be protected was the melody, now artists are being sued for the arrangements and rhythms they used. Let's hope some common sense is applied in this case, but knowing some US  judges and juries, I won't be holding my breath.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

In the 60's Chuck Berry won a case against Brian Wilson because Surfin USA is a rip off of Sweet Little Sixteen.

But cases, such as this one, is the new way that publishers make money out of their songs. The only part of a song that could be protected was the melody, now artists are being sued for the arrangements and rhythms they used. Let's hope some common sense is applied in this case, but knowing some US  judges and juries, I won't be holding my breath.

True that. They always claimed it was a homage to Berry. How much Berry nicked from his pianist Johnnie Johnson and plenty of blues musicians that preceded him can only be guessed.

15 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

It was a very popular song. It could easily be 3 or 4 pence

Exactly - this appears to be timed to try and make some cash from their song(s). Swift's team will wait to see if it's likely to be dismissed - but if the Judge is one of the standard Conservative types (doesn't like Women, Entertainers or having to think inside the current Century), then he team may well settle out of court. Shake It Off is Swift's most successful single - it's probably made her more money alone than a significant proportion of current recording artists have ever made.

5 hours ago, tegs07 said:

True that. They always claimed it was a homage to Berry. How much Berry nicked from his pianist Johnnie Johnson and plenty of blues musicians that preceded him can only be guessed.

Chuck was influenced by many things, from Johnny Johnson and T Bone Walker to Country music, but underneath all that he was an original.