Why become a member? ×

Songwriters gonna songwrite (and lawyers gonna lawy)

tauzero

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59606655

Taylor Swift is going to be sued for copyright infringement because she used the words "haters gonna hate" in a song. Just how bloody stupid is that? It'll have songwriters from many years back trying to work out if they were the first to put "I love you" in a song and seeing how many other songwriters they can sue as a result. And Jon Anderson will be having a field day, as he's used just about every combination of words possible.

Oh well, tossers gonna toss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59606655

Taylor Swift is going to be sued for copyright infringement because she used the words "haters gonna hate" in a song. Just how bloody stupid is that? It'll have songwriters from many years back trying to work out if they were the first to put "I love you" in a song and seeing how many other songwriters they can sue as a result. And Jon Anderson will be having a field day, as he's used just about every combination of words possible.

Oh well, tossers gonna toss.

maybe she got bored with writing stinky poo songs about crap boyfriends and decided on a completely different grift 

I read a piece on the BBC News web site about this yesterday. The original case was dismissed by a judge saying the words were too generic. This was appealed which is the position it's now in... My view is that that 'copyrighting' words is nonsense. I'm unconvinced about tunes as well... In earlier times, it was common for composers to 'borrow' from other composers.

• Like 1

I watched Echo in the Canyon last night. More innocent times when creative people borrowed from each other’s work to push the boundaries forward.

The Beatles nicked bits from The Byrds who borrowed heavily from the folk scene and inspired The Beach Boys who pushed the boundaries that pushed The Beatles forward and so on.

No Lawyer involved. Just creativity and mutual respect.

Wonder how many metal bands will sued for using words, death, devil, god, nightmare, war,evil, rage....

Love and hate, wish you were here.

Hang on , there are songs too!

Ozzy Osbourne- Shot in the Dark 

John Mayer- Shot in the Dark 

AC DC- Shot in the Dark

Within Temptation- Shot in the Dark 

The damages are the royalties they did not accrue when they were not credited as songwriters. A similar tactic was used by Marvin Gaye, recently, when he rose from the grave to sue some contemporary bods, whose names I cannot remember, and won, I think. It was possibly the song which has since been identified as part of rape culture, though I could be mixing two stories up. Blurred Lines?

1 minute ago, Doctor J said:

The damages are the royalties they did not accrue when they were not credited as songwriters. A similar tactic was used by Marvin Gaye, recently, when he rose from the grave to sue some contemporary bods, whose names I cannot remember, and won, I think. It was possibly the song which has since been identified as part of rape culture, though I could be mixing two stories up. Blurred Lines?

Yes, although that was the music which was pretty similar, not the words. 

This one has already been to trial with the original judge saying the words were too generic to copy. 

12 hours ago, SH73 said:

Wonder how many metal bands will sued for using words, death, devil, god, nightmare, war,evil, rage....

Love and hate, wish you were here.

Hang on , there are songs too!

Ozzy Osbourne- Shot in the Dark 

John Mayer- Shot in the Dark 

AC DC- Shot in the Dark

Within Temptation- Shot in the Dark 

The Power of Love - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

The Power of Love - Huey Lewis and the News

The Power of Love - Jennifer Rush 

The Power of Love - Gabrielle Alpin

5 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

The worst thing about the whole thing is that “haters gonna hate” is an established phrase in the first place.

It appears that the first known use was in the song written by the ones doing the suing. However, after its first use, I'm sure there would have been quite a few uses before Taylor Swift used it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tauzero said:

It appears that the first known use was in the song written by the ones doing the suing. However, after its first use, I'm sure there would have been quite a few uses before Taylor Swift used it.

Thanks - I didn't realise that... but it fits with my experience: seems like only the last few years that I heard the phrase - not as many as 14 or whatever years ago