Why become a member? ×

Third party insurance for performers, help please

Woodwind

I know the topic of insurance crops up every so often, so I thought I'd start a new thread for updated info'.

I'm looking to obtain third party insurance for my performances and workshops I run.

What insurance companies is anyone on here using for their groups etc and what is covered in the policy?

Many thanks for pointers and help,

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Under what circumstances do you imagine someone claiming against your insurance?

Quite a few venues I'm being booked for now ask for performers to have their own 3rd party cover.

I am a little taken aback by this frankly, but can see this situation only becoming more common.

In this setting I can imagine an audience member tripping over something etc

In terms of the workshops and mentoring I do, again it's quite often specified on the contract that I have "relevant 3rd party insurance".

Again I can only assume this is to cover physical harm to attendees related to my equipment etc.

Despite all risk assessments being made (I always do these whether a venue asks for them or not and have them archived on a page on my website) I know freak accidents can occur.

More pressingly I don't want to be refused payment for not having insurance.

All understood, and I'm NOT trying to persuade you otherwise, but demands that performers have Third Party Insurance are usually driven by a venue / agent / booker having their own insurance which requires them to ensure that YOU have insurance.

The driver is that, e.g. should a punter manage to trip over a cable, fall and hit her head, sustaining brain damage, when her family sues the venue the venue's insurance company will try to counter-sue YOUR insurance company.

Given your description it seems unlikely that you can avoid all this nonsense, in which case I imagine that arranging your cover through the Musicians Union will make most sense.

This whole insurance scam (as I see it, anyway) is one of the reasons why I prefer to stick to pub/club gigs. I have never once been asked for proof of insurance, nor have I ever once been sued.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

All understood, and I'm NOT trying to persuade you otherwise, but demands that performers have Third Party Insurance are usually driven by a venue / agent / booker having their own insurance which requires them to ensure that YOU have insurance.

The driver is that, e.g. should a punter manage to trip over a cable, fall and hit her head, sustaining brain damage, when her family sues the venue the venue's insurance company will try to counter-sue YOUR insurance company.

Given your description it seems unlikely that you can avoid all this nonsense, in which case I imagine that arranging your cover through the Musicians Union will make most sense.

This whole insurance scam (as I see it, anyway) is one of the reasons why I prefer to stick to pub/club gigs. I have never once been asked for proof of insurance, nor have I ever once been sued.

Understood and I agree.

I'm looking at arranging more of my own shows and use less conventional venues.

I have looked at one off cover for these before and may go that route again.

I'm not allowed to join the MU again (according to correspondence from them 12 years ago) 🤣 so although they would be a natural choice, I may have to explore other avenues

By "Third Party Insurance" do you mean Public Liability Insurance? This is the ones venues normally ask for.

We use AMPband and have done for years. Not sure what individual membership is, but for a 9 piece band it is £69 a year and that includes PLI up to £10m

Here's the website and if you decide to go with them put out membership number in, 61244, as an introducer and we get some credit towards our next renewal.

https://ampband.co.uk/secure/member_home.php

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

By "Third Party Insurance" do you mean Public Liability Insurance? This is the ones venues normally ask for.

We use AMPband and have done for years. Not sure what individual membership is, but for a 9 piece band it is £69 a year and that includes PLI up to £10m

Here's the website and if you decide to go with them put out membership number in, 61244, as an introducer and we get some credit towards our next renewal.

https://ampband.co.uk/secure/member_home.php

just did a quick quote - 49quid for solo performer.

I would want to know that would extend for PLI cover for workshops in addition to gigs so will drop them a line.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I will definitely put your referral in if I insure with them

• Like 1

One band I play with uses AMPband as above. There's also Bryan James - https://www.musiciansinsurance.co.uk/ - we use them for PLI and equipment cover for a university music club that runs various kinds of events. We've never had to make a claim with them but they've always been very helpful in terms of renewals, updating equipment lists etc. Whenever I've tried to compare quotes from the two companies they've always been so close that it's not worth switching!

Edited by atsampson
  • Like 1