Why become a member? ×

Fender precision bass check

Mike Groovie

I was given a "Fender precision bass" by a friend a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of changing to a short-scale Coronado and trying to decide what to do with this one. He said he didn't think it was real, but I've had other guitar friends look at it and they think it's real. If it's real I'd give it back to him, otherwise I'd just pay the favour he did me forward. The Serial number on the back of the headstock dates it as a 97 US made. The decals don't look like cheap waterslides, if they are they've been lacquered over. The ends of the frets are nicely rounded with no edges. It's black with sunburst and has a funny red/black marbled (ish) pick guard. I don't want to give him it back if it's not real as it'd seem ungrateful but if it's real I'd hate him not to have first refusal. Anything else in particular that I should look for? 

I had a 78/79 Precision and that decal is virtually identical. 

If is was just a Standard Precision from 1997 the Fender logo should be silver with a black surround, serial number under it and the words Precision Bass would much smaller.  The string tree is in the wrong place, too (should be closer to the A-machine head).  Maybe it's my screen but the finish on that looks too 'rich' for a Fender.  Hell, what do I know.

I think as time goes on, it's just going to become harder and harder to identify what's what.  All these reissues, Squiers with Fender decals, Custom Shop decals, general swappage of hardware, custom builds with Fender decals, people putting different necks on.  Too many people with access to sandpaper.

There's probably thousands of people playing what they believe are vintage Fenders/Gibsons which came off a Chinese production line a couple of years ago.

Edited by NancyJohnson
Bloody autocorrect.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That plate is def after market based on the pattern and it’s fit to the bass (very poor fit around lower horn) and I think the burst looks a bit odd

the action looks very high - my guess would be that it’s a decent bitsa - not even a whole Mex